Decent finds from an old spot

reddesilets

Thanks! I looooved the look of the top of that skull fragment (next to the small orange turtle shell). The "design" on it is sooo pretty! Nature's patterns are so amazing! I need to try and get a good camera and make a photo box for better photographing our finds so such details are better brought out.

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Anything is better than nothing. ;) I think my next step is working them, esp the smallest teeth, into jewelry. :)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Fantastic finds and I love the color range!

The vert looks a lot like one I found in Gainesville that I had a particularly knowledgeable person look at and say it most likely came from either a red or black drum fish. I don't think that your two toned piece is from a tusk, it looks more like a large bone fragment from a big animal. I've found two toned bone fragments like that at the beach before. A lot of what I find in Gainesville is also multi-colored.

Edited by Khyssa

Thanks! And yes, the more I look at it and the more I feel it the more it has to be bone. It doesn't look or feel like tusk at all. I can't help but giggle b/c Toby has run w/the "crushed Fig Newton" thing and picked up what I believe to be just a rock b/c he sees a "crushed Fig Newton" and thinks it's a flattened mammoth tooth. ;) LOL And the color variations in this creek are stunning, which is why I don't mind going back for the micro even if the macro are nearly gone from it - they are just too beautiful for us to pass over. :wub:

— Henry Fairfield Osborn