If you want me Ill be in the Shed

DE&i

Decided the timing was right to give these two finds my full attention as the temperatures here become more chilled. I plugged in my small electric fire in my prepping shed and set to work reducing the size of these fragile clay blocks that hold a shrimp in one piece and a crushed ammonite in the other.

The process was a lot easier than I thought with a steady hand and sharp saw the clay cut like a knife through butter. I then just applied a thin paraloid coat to them, they are still quite heavy and may suffice as books ends but not really sure at the moment.

post-13364-0-78750500-1444996923_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-07376700-1444996948_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-50561500-1444996961_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-73884500-1444996993_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I smile to see a hand saw in use; I have done the same with soft matrices.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice I like the idea of using a saw, I have resorted to using a tile saw and shaper on the lime stone matrix that I work on, it works well and is much les likely to slip like and electric cutter.

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Whatever gets 'er done.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A good crosscut saw is my tool of choice for fragile specimens in soft matrix. Tile saws work great but the water can be problematic when combined with dry shale!

Also, a large toothed crosscut saw does wonders for opening field jackets without stirring up a lung full of plaster dust.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks guys as there's no better place to be as winter sets in. And outside fossiling becomes a ( little ) more difficult. It's just me and my fossils a radio and a mug of tea.

I'm going back for this slab as its packed full of Belemnites. But the matrix consists of a shell concretion and what take a herculean effort to lift it.

So not sure what the tool of choice will be but I'll take an assortment.

post-13364-0-42720500-1445069913_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

A good crosscut saw is my tool of choice for fragile specimens in soft matrix. Tile saws work great but the water can be problematic when combined with dry shale!

Also, a large toothed crosscut saw does wonders for opening field jackets without stirring up a lung full of plaster dust.

You can get diamond blades rated for 'wet or dry' use, I have a 10" one mounted in my dad's chop saw right now. You just have to use a dust mask. The blade may wear out faster than if you used water but they last long enough that the price is worth it.

I do envy people who have soft matrix to work with, though, or even hard but not splintery matrix. My splintery shale is probably the worst stuff to work with in all the fossil world! Yer options are limited to what I just described... No rock saw with oil or water, no chisels, no hacksaws will do, and you can't even clamp the chunk in place without damaging it so you have to be careful when cutting.

I had my daughter Iris and her pet worm ( in the blue tub ) help me in the prepping shed today. Ive been carefully wiping over some Woolly Mammoth fragments with some wet wipes over the past couple of months. And have now decided to slowly dry them in cold storage.

post-13364-0-94309300-1445789306_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-20675500-1445789358_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-97684700-1445789434_thumb.jpg

I really like the tan brown colorations on some of them and wonder if that could have been the tusks natural color or perhaps where sediments might have discolored them.

post-13364-0-24120700-1445789392_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-72018800-1445789326_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

We should all be so lucky to have prep lab partner like yours. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Super cute prep helper! I remember when my boys used to come out to the garage and "help" me prep fossils! No chance of that these days, it's all Call of Duty or Minecraft for them.

The constant supply of Hot Chocolate drinks does wonders when help is needed.

So the team is back in the prepping shed to look through some old Lower Oxford Clay, Peterborough Formation matrix I have to look for cephalopod hooklets.

post-13364-0-48713500-1445945982_thumb.jpg

We found three complete ones so far but hope to find some more.

post-13364-0-66794700-1445945920_thumb.jpg

post-13364-0-48700800-1445945945_thumb.jpg

They are 1.mm in size.

Regards.....D&E&i

Look, if you're serving hot chocolate and we get to search for belemnite hooklets, then you're tempting me to come help. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ