Preparation and Conservation - Florida Museum of Natural History

oilshale

Hi,

Just finished reading the article, good solid info thanks for the post, I have printed off a copy for reference.

Regards

Mike

Thank you for posting the link Thomas.

Good information in there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good stuff, but fairly dated. It mentions glyptal as a good consolidant. No professional uses glyptal anymore (only our own RB does). That went out 20 years ago. It also make no mention of the primary air scribe maker for us...PaleoTools. (Also they spell 'Aro' incorrectly, but I can let that slide). Doesn't mention Comco as a maker of air abrasive units, but does mention SS White, which I don't think makes a paleo sized unit anymore.

Good general info, though. But keep in mind it looks to melike it dates to the 80's.

Good general info, though. But keep in mind it looks to melike it dates to the 80's.

1st paragraph says it was written in the late 90's and periodically updated. I think the update period probably ended in the late 90's as well.

A good general overview of fossil preparation and preservation. It's a good place to whet your appetite for preparation. Or, a starting place to run away.

I agree, this does provide a general overview for preppers. I'm a bit skeptical about the advice for dealing with 'hemititic' deposits on Florida river fossils.

I don't think that I'll ever own any thioglycolic acid or calcium orthophosphate for removing iron oxide (goethite) deposits from Florida river fossils. I've used mild solutions of oxalic acid for that purpose. Oxalic acid is easily available and relatively inexpensive to get the results that the FSM student describes . . . there's always the residue of powdery crust that must be removed by hand.

I've managed to eliminate the acid treatment by employing my air abrasive machine with 50-micron glass beads. I have not had a problem with damage to the fossils. (I'm certain that you can 'burn' anything, even with glass beads, if you are careless.)

What do other Florida collectors do?

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Oxalic acid works well if there is little or no calcium carbonate in the substrate and the fossil is quite stable against dilute acid. I agree, working with thioglycolic acid can be a mess and should be avoided if you can. But I found the Waller method - even so a bit more complicated - very usefull. Especially if you have to deal with carbonate substrates and acid sensitive bones. Sometimes fossils from the Santana formation are heavily stained and very dark - they are easy to clean and get brighter with this solution. Here are two links how to use this method:

http://www.pegworkshop.com/extras/waller/waller1.html

http://www.jstor.org/stable/4523244?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Sometimes phospates are added to this solution as a buffer to further protect the (calcium phosphate containing) bones.

By the way - this method is also a very good choice to clean acid sensitive minerals.

Thomas

PS: The Waller solution will generate hydrogen sulfide - a poisonous gas smelling after rotten eggs! Avoid exposure and work with extreme care preferable under a lab hood or outdoors.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).