My Mahantango PA Mystery Fossil

married2rick

I found this fossil in Juniata County, Pa.

I cannot find anything online that remotely resembles it.

It is about 3" long and 3/4" wide.

post-6072-0-80656000-1446512262_thumb.jpg

Domed chamber wall; cephalopod. Longitudinal 'groove'; Bactrites. Mahantango; B. aciculum.

Good pull Scott!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

(Remember I'm new at this so sorry if my questions are elementary)

Is this a tentacle of the cephalopod?

Here is a pic of the exposed end.

Pretty nice Bactrites!

Are you referring to the yellowish area?

That appears to be an encrusting bryozoan, called Reptaria stolonifera.

If there were tentacles, that would be soft body preservation. That happens, but not in the Mahantango formation.

Your fossil is the internal mold of the inner part of the cephalopod.

The small dot at the rounded end would be the siphuncle - a tube that ran through all of the chambers of the nautiloid that regulated water flow in each chamber.

orthocerasdrawing.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree.

Good IDs.

The bryozoan is tiny but very nice. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Holy mackeral fossildude19! Your response was exactly what I needed to hear. I could understand it AND you included a pic, awesome! Thank you, Thank you!

I have to express some reservation about the ID as Bactrites. From Wikipedia (which corroborates my recollection): "Bactritida (Erben 1964) are characterized by orthoconic to cyrtochonic shells that may be long or short with a narrow siphuncle invariably in contact with the ventral wall and sutures uniformly with V-shaped ventral lobes." I've underlined the relevant part. I happen to recall this because this is the feature that suggests the Bactritida are ancestoral to the ammonoids, which also have the siphuncle in contact with the ventral wall.

On the other hand, the end of the specimen in question seems to show the siphuncle in almost the center of the septum:

post-528-0-25132100-1446672384_thumb.jpg

Also the size (3 inches long, 3/4 inch wide) seems gigantic for a Bactrites to me. However, my experience with the genus is entirely small pyritized specimens from Arkona which might be misleading.

Based on the position of the siphuncle I'd suggest a tentative ID with a Michelinoceras or some related genus.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

I just remeasured. It is only 2" long by almost 3/4" wide. And the siphuncle is not perfectly centered from top to bottom, it's nearer to the top. (Assuming it's the top). It is somewhat centered from left to right. It isn't perfectly round either but more like a slightly flattened hose.

I will research a Michelinoceras tonight.

Thank you again, everyone, thank you!