Geologic ?

Rockwood

There are two separate pieces here that were found in the same area. I suspect they represent different aspects of the same phenomenon, but they were in a glacially affected area so they may be unrelated. The rocks in the area, west/central Maine, are mostly Devonian aged.

The first photo shows the features as voids. Possibly dissolved oolitic limestone ?

In the second they are either still present or have been replaced.

Any ideas ?

post-7417-0-79311300-1446968661_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-81136400-1446968675_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-03858500-1446968698_thumb.jpg

my guess is trace fossils also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Interesting traces. My first reaction in the 1st photo was some kind of fusilinid trace as there seems to be quite a few rice shaped structures. There are no internal structures in any of them little guys are there?

Regards, Chris

Also fusulinids was my first thought,but looking at the left upper area of the third pic.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This has gotten more interesting than I had imagined. They sure look like the images I get for fusulinids. The temporal range and even the spelling are going to take more time to sort out than I have right now though.

This has gotten more interesting than I had imagined. They sure look like the images I get for fusulinids. The temporal range and even the spelling are going to take more time to sort out than I have right now though.

Sorry for the spelling error. Here's another trace option to look at--a pelecypod resting trace--Lockeia seems to have some similarity in shape if the fusulinids dont fit.

http://www.envs.emory.edu/faculty/MARTIN/ichnology/Lockeia.htm

Regards, Chris

Perhaps this will help. These all seem to be discrete and quite uniformly rice grain like shapes. They are 4 or 5 mm long. As the left photo shows they seem to appear somewhat intermittently within the bedding and not on the plains. If they have any external features it is very hard to differentiate from the texture of the matrix.

I'll have to get back to where I found this. I think the area was a mixture of talus and perhaps glacial material. Carboniferous rocks in Maine would quite unique.

The spelling, fusilinid, appears to be valid but less commonly used. I thought perhaps it referred to a taxonomic level, but I can't find any indication of it.

post-7417-0-58069000-1447235108_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-81844100-1447235124_thumb.jpg

fecal pellets ?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks