Age and or age difference

Csruane91

Quite likely early to mid Eocene.

Are you familiar with the geology of the area or the site itself? or the leaves? Just wondering how you narrowed it down so far.

The location has not been narrowed down much and there are rocks of all ages in Colorado, and deciduous leaves range back into the Cretaceous.

The high rockies is a very vague area that includes possibly leafy fossils from a variety of ages. I have eeen similar leaves in the Cretaceous, Paleocene and Eocene of neighboring Wyoming.

I agree that is difficult to determine the age of the sediments without an exact locality of the finds, even knowing the color and the type of the matrix could be range from Late Cretaceous to Late Eocene maybe Lower Oligocene. The approximate location, or county region I think could help a little.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

my guess is Eocene also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I always wonder why people feel the need to be so cryptic about locality information. We don't need exact GPS coordinates or anything of that nature, but reference to a nearby town or geographical feature is very helpful. As others have said, on their own these leaves could be any age from Lower Cretaceous to Recent, and rocks of almost all those ages are present in the "High Rockies" in Colorado. Better locality data will narrow down the geology a lot, allowing us to focus in on the most likely source for the specimens, information that we are happy to pass on.

Don