Help ID this scale

Fossil Roman

post-19972-0-86754100-1447192934_thumb.jpg

I guess this is a fish scale, but it would be the first and only I have found. I thought it could also be from a turtle shell.

It looks quite large for a fish. This is from Camacho formation, Uruguay.

Could any of you guys with more fish experience give your opinions?

I'm not an expert of this kind of fossils, but I think the turtle shell could be out of question. What remains is fish scale and I believe it is. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks Abyss, so it is a fish. I have checked on Camacho formation described fish but didnt find much i could use to ID genus.

It looks to thick to be a fish scale as the specimen is layered. It has the classic look of fish fossilised bone but from what or where - most likely from the head area.

Mike

Just how thick is it, and is the thickness uniform?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a picture of the back side, doesn´t tell me much.

The piece is thicker than any non fossil fish scale I have seen, maybe less than 1/16 of an inch and same thickness all along.

Mike, the pattern on the left side of the first pic looks very much like a scale, does fossil fish bone really look like this in your experience?

For its size, a 1/16" thickness is not outside the range for a robust fish scale, especially since the thickness is uniform.

The Camacho formation is a fresh water deposit?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Camacho Formation is late Miocene? This is for sure a very nice fish scale. At least fish remains are known from this formation - it is mentioned in this paper about a new Mylodontinae (page 744, lower right side).

http://www.jstor.org/stable/30126379?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Attached is another paper about mesozoic fish scales for comparison.

SCHULTZE H-P. 1996 - The scales of Mesozoic actinopterygians.pdf

Thomas

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thomas, thanks for the articles, both are very interesting.

Yes, fish are mentioned for Camacho in all literature I´ve seen, but I can´t find species mentioned.

Well, I´ve been reading about scales and this would be a Ctenoid scale, the most modern type of fish scales. they are typical of fish with rigid fin rays, like most Perciforms (Order), which contains about 4o%" of all existing fish. So, not very useful to identify which one this one is!

It is also interesting that a fish age can be calculated quite precisely from this type of scales by reading the rings, as in tree.