Animal or tree?

Okie

Help ID for a novice. Animal or tree? Found on eastern end of Arbuckle Mountains, south-central Oklahoma (Murray Co.). It was 90% buried on top of a hill on my brother's ranch. Note the, for lack of proper terminology, scales/segments/layers. Sorry for so many photos but I wanted to show all angles.

post-12547-0-72562300-1447274414_thumb.jpeg

post-12547-0-42695900-1447274443_thumb.jpeg

post-12547-0-21219900-1447274464_thumb.jpeg

post-12547-0-18780800-1447274488_thumb.jpeg

post-12547-0-59083900-1447274505_thumb.jpeg

That's Paleozoic (and Precambrian) rock there; I think a case could be made for the specimen being a great big cephalopod.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you Auspex and Ludwigia. A couple of years ago I posted a number of fossils found on my brother's property and several were identified on here as straight shelled and also spiral shelled cephalopods (technical terms not committed to my memory) and others. I very much appreciate your help. I have a few other pieces I'll be posting soon.

Edited by Okie

looks cephalopody to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I don't know much about the age of the fossils in your area, but I do know that good pictures from several angles, as you have presented here, are often needed for a good ID. Nice job. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Looks like a very old and weathered big orthoconic cephalopod, with the chambers visible. In pic 3 I think the siphuncle is there. A longitudinal section is not necessary because the specimen looks similar to other ones from Oklahoma. Look this older TFF thread : http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/25309-this-one-is-cool-marine-fossil/

Nice find BTW! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder, pics in the link you provided looks very similar to a post I made here two years ago. If I can figure out how to find the link to it, I'll give it to you. Oh, I think I can add a pic to this comment. I'll only add 2 pics from the old post....

post-12547-0-89140900-1447287586_thumb.jpegpost-12547-0-38388700-1447287644_thumb.jpeg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes! Those are among my older posts but not the specific one I was thinking of. Is there a way for me to pull up all of my posts from two years ago. I'm not very familiar with this site and am iPad 'challenged'. I'll hunt around to see if I can figure it out. THANKS Abyssunder!

Edited by Okie

...Is there a way for me to pull up all of my posts...

Click here: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

This is, on Google search string : okie posts thefossilforum site:www.thefossilforum.com

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39715-cephalopod-turtle-or-what/

Edit: Comparing the specimens found in different locales they are similar. post-17588-0-76960800-1447327493_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-57662900-1447327499_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you so much, Auspex! I wasn't having any luck trying to find them on my own. Appreciate your help.

The easy way to find your posted content is to click on your screen name at the top right of the page, and select My Content from the drop-down. Others' content may be searched from their profile page. This goes back two years; for a deeper search, explore the advanced functions by clicking on the little gear icon th the right of the Search bar below your screen name at top right.