Hairy Rock

Meshebe

Greetings! I found this rock at the bottom of New Melones Lake, a nearly dried up reservoir near San Francisco, CA. I find the texture incredibly tantalizing, but I know fossilized hair is ridiculously rare. I'm thinking maybe an underwater plant left these indention on the rock recently? What are your thoughts? Thank you!

(Also, the rock is about 5 inches wide and 3 inches tall. The rock in the region came apart in sheets. I found this rock as pictured, laying on the ground.)

post-20018-0-26546300-1447438409_thumb.jpg

close up:

post-20018-0-58053500-1447438412_thumb.jpg

back side:

post-20018-0-88087300-1447438414_thumb.jpg

side:

post-20018-0-50956600-1447438416_thumb.jpg

post-20018-0-48734900-1447438419_thumb.jpg

Should I move this to the "Is it real" forum? I didn't have high expectations of this being an actual fossil... it's just so interesting looking and I want to know what I am looking at. ;)

Should I move this to the "Is it real" forum? I didn't have high expectations of this being an actual fossil... it's just so interesting looking and I want to know what I am looking at. ;)

No. It's real enough. In fact it's quite reasonable to wonder about it.

The matrix appears to be fine, thinly-bedded shale. There do not seem to be any clasts, or grading of any kind.

This would indicate a very calm environment of deposition; lacustrine, for example. There is the possibility that the features are impressions left by something like filamentous algae; indeed, there is what looks like some carbon film present.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm with jpc I think it is geologic also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Never seen anything like it. I can't imagine what would leave those lines, other than algae as Auspex says, but maybe there is a mineralogical explanation too. Can you find more pieces? Maybe other chunks will have variations that will give us more clues. It's a keeper, whatever it is.

Hey Meshebe,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.

The new melones reservoir is in the sierra nevada foothills. The rock around there is mostly metamorphic and intrusive igneous. The chance that this is a fossil are very slim to nonexistent. I believe that it is a dendritic manganese on the surface of some shale.

It is a nice mineral specimen.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Neat rock. I'm thinking its geologic too.

Looks very similar to some of the weathered fine grained carbonate and carbonate cemented rock samples we collected in soCal many years ago. I bet it would fizz with a drop of some dilute HCL or vinegar. I wouldnt be surprised that it had indeed been metamorphosed as Tony noted and the weathering of the carbonate minerals is the cause. Might be metamorphic stress weaknesses in the rock are enhancing that weathering pattern--might even have a specific sedimentary rock structure name that I've forgotten. Maybe one of the sedimentary rock guys will know more.

Thanks for showing us.

Regards, Chris