Is this a coral fossil?

Guguita2104

A friend mine gave me this coral...I don' know the exactly location where did she found/bought (?) it.For that, I'm not so certainly if it's really a fossil.

Can someone clarify me?Can you give me a taxonomic classification?

Thanks,

Guguita

post-18967-0-95590200-1447456050_thumb.jpg

post-18967-0-25594700-1447456055_thumb.jpg

To me, it looks more like an infilled burrow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have Silurian branch coral if you are after some 426 million year old found by us

PASSION FOR MINERALS & FOSSILS OR ANYTHING OLD !

I do not believe it is a coral

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have Silurian branch coral if you are after some 426 million year old found by us

Branch coral from the Silurian ? Let's have a look.

I think it may be modern coral covered with calcareous algae. The red lumps are a common type of foraminifera found in tropical waters.

I think it may be modern coral covered with calcareous algae. The red lumps are a common type of foraminifera found in tropical waters.

Ding ding ding; I think we have a winner.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Uau! Awesome! The coraline algae are so widespread but it's rare we talk about them in schools or oher type of specialized sites...They're ecology is almost unknow for the scientists.

Thanks,

Guguita

Indeed, Crustose Coralline Algae (CCA) is not often talked about among scientists. Even many coral scientists talk more of scleractinian (reef-building) corals and don't consider much that CCA is one of the best substrates for coral larvae to settle upon and metamorphose into tiny coral recruits that may one day grow into a sizable coral. CCA is often a very major component of (mostly shallow) reef systems that (in addition to functioning as settling habitat) acts to cement sediments together. In fact one of its common names is "reef cement". Due to its Pepto-Bismol like pink color it is often known by non-scientists by the name "pink bottom". I tend to giggle whenever I hear that term used--sophomoric, yes--but it tickles me pink. :P

I'm traveling and on my laptop computer at the moment so I don't have access to my library of CCA images so this is the best I can do by way of an example at the moment:

post-7713-0-57013600-1448071880_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-92028200-1448071880_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

On a closer view of the specimen, I think we have to deal with Homotrema rubrum (Lamarck), a common encrusting foraminifera; in our case encrusting a branching coral. post-17588-0-48915000-1448493041_thumb.jpg

reference: http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project-pages/caribbean/pdf/Pilarczyk&Reinhardt_NatHazards_acc_H_Rubum_Anegada_overwash.pdf

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library