Fossil locust and dragonfly ID

Tanit

It seems to me that this is a locust and a dragonfly or other insect. The locust is about 3.5 cm.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is it?

Thanks

post-20048-0-26471000-1448232325_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-11509800-1448232343_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-95351700-1448232353_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Where is it from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Two large insects?! This specimen is almost too good to be true! Considering this, you might want to do some tests to ascertain its authenticity...

• I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

The legs on the insects look like they are flexed under the insects, that makes me suspicious as well, it looks like they were dead when they dropped in the copal. That could happen, but test things carefully.

• I found this Informative 2

Two large insects?! This specimen is almost too good to be true! Considering this, you might want to do some tests to ascertain its authenticity...

I agree, this looks very suspicious. But be carefull with the tests - this is not amber but copal. I fear this is a fake made out (recent) insects embedded in polyester resin and polyester resin will behave similar to copal. To be sure, I think it would be necessary to do an IR scan. May be you can find a university who can do this.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Locusts have powerful legs and can jump very high. It's highly unlikely one wouldn't be able to jump away if resin drops on it.

It almost looks like there could be a plain where the color varies from beneath to where the insect rests. A trick I've seen used is to marry a genuine piece of amber in the place most likely to be tested.

It almost looks like there could be a plain where the color varies from beneath to where the insect rests. A trick I've seen used is to marry a genuine piece of amber in the place most likely to be tested.

This is one possibility.

The other possibility is:

When you prepare a polyester "inclusion", you start with a first layer of resin. The "fossil" comes on top and then you cover the "fossil" with a second layer of resin. Unless you use exactly the same the initiator concentration and temperature to start the polymerisation, a slight color difference will occur.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

cool looking fake though

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

the grasshopper looks dead, before being entombed.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks