Where can I get Butvar-76 in Australia?

ElToro

I live in Perth, Oz and have called every hardware store and hobby shop. I've scoured the internet but still can't find any Butvar-76. I've fired off an email to the local museum but it may take days to get an answer. Any Aussies here that know? The Aus $ is REALLY low right now and shipping is a killer. I need a local source! Please help! (PS. I'm very new to the fossil collecting and from reading other posts on TFF this Butvar-76 appears to be the best stuff.) I'll pay US costs if I have to cause i love my fossils to bits. Hence the need for a consolidant, but has to available somewhere here!

Edited by ElToro

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Here is a supplier I use. he has 1/2 lb - 8oz. backs he sells for $10 US. I don't think shipping would be much for that small of an amount. 8oz. will make alot for an amature.You could buy a lb. or two and split it and sell it to other fossil collectors down south. A lot of Aussies on the Forum.

http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/acryloid-paraloid-b-72/acryloid

Here is a link for how to dilute your B-72 granules. You should be able to get the Acetone and Alcohol locally. The B-72 chips are just dry plastic like material and no hazardous charges exist.

http://www.connectingtocollections.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator.pdf

Hope this helps.

Ziggie

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a supplier I use. he has 1/2 lb - 8oz. backs he sells for $10 US. I don't think shipping would be much for that small of an amount. 8oz. will make alot for an amature.You could buy a lb. or two and split it and sell it to other fossil collectors down south. A lot of Aussies on the Forum.

http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/acryloid-paraloid-b-72/acryloid

Here is a link for how to dilute your B-72 granules. You should be able to get the Acetone and Alcohol locally. The B-72 chips are just dry plastic like material and no hazardous charges exist.

http://www.connectingtocollections.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator.pdf

Hope this helps.

Ziggie

Thanks! But due to my persistence (harassment) I got on the phone with the curator at the Western Australian Museum and he uses B-76 which u can't buy in this country. He gave me a supplier in the US that they use and sells a kilo for around $30. Sounds good to me! They do beautiful work at our museum. When I get check it out I will post it on the Forum.

- Indiana Jones

See whether you can get Paraloid there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Better try to find a local source.

Shipping to another country would mean importing a chemical.

In many cases there will be no problem, but just as well you might end up in a lot of trouble.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thanks guys, I'll check out paraloid. Y'all think its better? If the WA museum imports its stuff I probably will too. Being in Australia I have to be careful with everything I import. Too many ridiculous laws here.

- Indiana Jones

We used to use a product called Mowital which sounds very similar to Butvar ( a Polyvinyl Butyral).

When I first heard about Paraloid B72 I asked our Professor why we always used Mowital instead. He replied that it was something that he had discovered, it worked, so he never changed after that. I suspect that is why the WAM use Butvar to this day- they know where to get it, how to use it and have had no reason to change.

So...Butvar will work fine if that's your choice, no problems there.

I have shifted to Paraloid B72 because I prefer the beads to the powder (less mess) and because of it's superior aging qualities. Other than that, the difference is small.

Have a look at this magnificent poster from SVP ( http://vertpaleo.org/PDFS/2f/2f3083bf-0ff0-4c6e-b641-2c608caa2040.pdf ), it will help you decide.

Also, this paper ( http://www.connectin..._preparator.pdf) is like a little bible for Paraloid B72 (thanks to FF member ZiggieCie for the link!) .

Good luck with your Prep work and feel free to ask for more advice- that's how you learn stuff!

We used to use a product called Mowital which sounds very similar to Butvar ( a Polyvinyl Butyral).

When I first heard about Paraloid B72 I asked our Professor why we always used Mowital instead. He replied that it was something that he had discovered, it worked, so he never changed after that. I suspect that is why the WAM use Butvar to this day- they know where to get it, how to use it and have had no reason to change.

So...Butvar will work fine if that's your choice, no problems there.

I have shifted to Paraloid B72 because I prefer the beads to the powder (less mess) and because of it's superior aging qualities. Other than that, the difference is small.

Have a look at this magnificent poster from SVP ( http://vertpaleo.org/PDFS/2f/2f3083bf-0ff0-4c6e-b641-2c608caa2040.pdf ), it will help you decide.

Also, this paper ( http://www.connectin..._preparator.pdf) is like a little bible for Paraloid B72 (thanks to FF member ZiggieCie for the link!) .

Good luck with your Prep work and feel free to ask for more advice- that's how you learn stuff!

Thanks mate! I'll check out the museum supplier after work to see their products. But since it looks like I have to buy from overseas anyway, I'll look for a supplier for Paraloid. Again, thanks, TFF is the best. So many knowledgeable folk! The best. :)

- Indiana Jones

Thanks guys, I'll check out paraloid. Y'all think its better?...

It is widely used in Europe, and it might be more readily available Down Under.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ElToro

Unsure if you have any Paraloid B72 yet but I obtained a 1 kilo bucket of beads a while back and it wasn't that expensive even with freight. The Australian supplier I used is Preservation Australia (info@preservationaustralia.com.au) and they were easy to work with. They are located in Sydney from memory so freight costs for you shouldn't be much different to mine. Just dilute to suit in acetone and brush on, read the topics on preservation first. I keep my ready to use product in an old glass coffee jar and use an unpainted wooden handled artists brush to apply. ( the acetone will dissolve some plastics - like the beads and any paint on the handle of the brush will discolour the paraloid .

Just checked what I paid for the 1 Kilo delivered - $35 in 2012

Mike D'Arcy

Edited by Mike from North Queensland

When you do get your B-72 chips us the instructions above for your first initial dilution. Do use the cheesecloth and make a bag out of it, and hang it into the acetone or alcohol jar.Just trap the top of the cloth bag with the lid so it is not on the bottom, and watch it dissolve out.

If you keep the top of the bottle and the seal of the lid clean, the lid should not stick shut. When I am done with the brush I wipe it clean. it will get hard but re-softens when you reuse it.

Thanks guys. I've got a lot of looking up to do! I've spoken to an Aussie fossil and crystal guy over in Melbourne and he gets b72 from a plastics supplier in Aus. Looks promising.

- Indiana Jones