Unusual Pennsylvanian Plant Stem/Cone?

deutscheben

Found this while hiking along the Little Vermilion River in East Central Illinois, it was inside a nodule that had split naturally. It didn't match up with anything in the various books on Pennsylvanian plant fossils I have, can anyone identify it? it was on state land, so I left it there, but I'm quite curious about what it is. The exposure at this site is, I believe, the Energy Shale.

post-17917-0-63275700-1448384900_thumb.jpg

Any idea on the size of the item?

Was this found in Lasalle County?

Looks like the geology there is pretty diverse.

Looks like some Ordovician as well as Pennsylvanian exposures there.

( I don't see any "Energy Shale" listed there. )

Was it dug out of an exposure, ...or lying loose?

So far, I think BobWill may be on the right track.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for responding- to answer your questions: The exposed "bump" was about 1 inch long. This was found in Vermilion County- the Energy Shale is found above the Herrin Coal and is similar to the Francis Creek Shale of Mazon Creek fame, producing sideritic concretions containing primarily plants, but also insects and other terrestrial and freshwater fauna. This nodule was lying loose on the riverbank.

• I found this Informative 1

It appears to be a section of Calamites. The characteristic features are more apparent after color inversion and reorienting the image.

post-4301-0-65001100-1448398675_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I see the Calamites too.

Is the branch partly bent so it almost looks like it goes back into the rock on the left side.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Hmm, it seemed more of a club-like "end" to me- I don't think it bent back into the concretion. But it does otherwise resemble Calamites, I can see that now. Could it be the end of a branch segment?

If anything, the subterranean parts of Calamites bore only root-scars, which are much smaller and do not touch each other laterally (are quite widely spaced, in fact). So, if this would indeed be a Calamites fragment (not convinced yet, though it clearly shows some resemblance), then the ring-shaped structure must represent a whorl of branch-scars. This basically rules out rhizome tip as an option and, as such, the "club-like end" remains a puzzle to me. Any ideas on what the structure around the "Calamites" represents? The rock fractured in a peculiar pattern, if you ask me, almost like it is also a part of the structure, somehow...

Searching for green in the dark grey.