Dinosaur Material for Sale

Troodon

Not sure what this is but they are selling it as a fossil rhino horn.

This is part of a bison or other type of cattle. Definitely not a rhino horn, rhino horns are solid and made of keratin.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

attachicon.gif__3.JPG

This is currently for sale for the cheap price of $50k. He's claiming it's a "rare paw fossil" and it's "adorable". Oh his description is hilarious.....and a bit sexist!!! Haha! You guys should look it up for a chuckle.

Personally I think these people should not be allowed to sell ANYTHING anymore on that site. Or at the very least, have their account deleted and start all over.

Thanks Charlie for pointing out that "rare paw fossil"--it made my morning. Good thing I don't drink coffee or I would have done a spit-take and sprayed my computer screen. Personally, I don't think I'd spend $50K on this as I'm saving my money for this beauty--only $399,000.00:

post-7713-0-29947800-1449065367_thumb.jpg

Natural & Rare “Yin & Yang” or White & Black Stone. We also call it the “Lucky Stone.” It is smooth, hard and solid. One side is naturally black and other side is also naturally white. It weighs about 1.5 - 2 ounces or so. This stone is very rare. You can’t find this naturally formed Black & White or “Yin & Yang” stone easily. We were lucky to find this. It is 100% natural & real! We collect or look for cool stones or rocks near streams or rivers and this is our first time finding this. This stone looks and feels mysterious when you hold it or touch it. Submit your Best Offer and we'll think about it. If you have questions, please ask!

See picture for size or measurement.

Item location: USA

If you want more clear and detailed pictures or have questions, let us know! No returns accepted!

Good luck!

Good luck indeed! I guess that site is too big these days to even consider policing their own content--Caveat emptor. On an unrelated note I think I've come up with a great idea to fund the ongoing expenses for the TFF website. :P

"a fool and his money are soon parted."

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I bid a dollar on the 'Fossil skull' think that I will get it? It would be great to auction off on the FF. :blush:

A collectors item.

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I bid a dollar on the 'Fossil skull' think that I will get it? It would be great to auction off on the FF. :blush:

A collectors item.

Can't you see it belongs in a museum!

It does, Ripleys' Believe it or Not. " Famous Kentucky skull Shaped Rock"

The seller was unhappy, he counter offered with "seriously, $999.00"

I replied " dude, is just a piece of limestone"

no reply back. :P

Edited by Herb

It does, Ripleys' Believe it or Not. " Famous Kentucky skull Shaped Rock"

The seller was unhappy, he counter offered with "seriously, $999.00"

I replied " dude, is just a piece of limestone"

no reply back. :P

Why don't you post that as a question at the bottom of the item page, as I understand it questions asked there and the seller's replies will appear for everyone to see :D Edited by sdsnl

Not sure what this is but they are selling it as a fossil rhino horn.

Almost looks like a Bison horn core ,but way to fat , and no pattern to it. LOL

Maybe on the next sale.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Found this excellent example of a ball of cement, ehh I mean Dinosaur Egg, on our favorite online auction this morning for only $400! :shake head:

"This item was found at an estate sale by a friend of mine.

He thought it was a squished cannon ball, but an expert told him it was a dinosaur egg.
Beyond that, I don't know much, but it certainly looks like a dinosaur egg when compared with other examples online.
Please note that returns are accepted.
Thanks for looking!"
post-19603-0-49253500-1453122356_thumb.jpg

"...an expert told him it was a dinosaur egg..."

Criminy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You're telling me that I can go outside and grab some random rocks and then sell them as fossils for a high price? I'm surprised 90% of ebay isn't this!

"a fool and his money are soon parted."

A fool and his money are soon found standing in line at the gas station buying tickets for the Powerball Lottery. Not me though, I'm saving my money to buy dinosaur eggs on eBay. :P

My wife and I once went to an auction (held by the Feds) of some of the ill-gotten gains of a shyster named Bernie Madoff (remember him? Wikipedia if unfamiliar). They had truckloads of his stuff unloaded into a conference hall at a hotel near where I live so I had to go gawk (nothing better to do that evening). There was huge amounts of jewelry, paintings, oriental rugs, sculptures, furniture, and just about every other gaudy thing you can picture someone buying with stolen funds. There seemed to be a few knowledgeable folks there who were inspecting the rugs and the jewelry--they probably got some deals. We were too afraid to even consider bidding--though we did have a paper plate with a number on it (had to get one to sit in on the auction). I'm sure I could not have deciphered which pieces of the jewelry were worth anything and which were worthless costume jewelry. I think it really does take an expert to spot a "diamond in the rough" so to speak. Novices would stand little chance of getting a deal on any item in that auction--I sat on my hands during the auction and managed to escape without buying anything.

It's kinda sad to see so many innocents get taken by scammers on eBay with all these pseudo-fossils but there really is no way to stop it. eBay is too big with too many auctions going on every day to possibly police all the fraud going on there. If they even made an attempt to do go then they open themselves up to liability for the scams they do not stop. While it might be fun for knowledgeable TFF members to expose some of the sham "dino eggs" and the like on eBay though posting questions/comments on the auctions trying to warn others, it would involve too much effort to really make anything more than a negligible impact--it would also take away valuable computer time better spent reading TFF. ^_^

Unfortunately, it really is Caveat emptor when buying fossils online. Know your stuff (and preferably your vendors) or get taken to the cleaners. Some collectors do not have the opportunity to build the collection they desire with personal finds and enjoy the "hunt" of finding bargains online--more power to them. I, myself, care little for fossils that I do not find myself as they do not come with the memory of the moment of discovery. Sure, I'd love a stunning crinoid plate to display as a work of art but rather than spending thousands on a museum quality piece to adorn my walls, I'll split rock (some day) till I find my own modest specimen and that will warm my heart every time I pass by and glance at it.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Hey, I just thought--I could sell a dozen chicken eggs as "dinosaur eggs" and be more honest than some of these sellers.

Found this excellent example of a ball of cement, ehh I mean Dinosaur Egg, on our favorite online auction this morning for only $400! :shake head:

"This item was found at an estate sale by a friend of mine.

He thought it was a squished cannon ball, but an expert told him it was a dinosaur egg.
Beyond that, I don't know much, but it certainly looks like a dinosaur egg when compared with other examples online.
Please note that returns are accepted.
Thanks for looking!"

That thing looks like it had something written on it that someone tried to scrub off.

Fortunately I have some image processing software that can bring out such details:

post-528-0-49466000-1453140287_thumb.jpg

Don

That thing looks like it had something written on it that someone tried to scrub off.

Fortunately I have some image processing software that can bring out such details:

attachicon.gifsucker.jpg

Don

Thought I recognized it. Though, not a 'flavor' I want to try. :P

post-420-0-66131400-1453145408_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

What is this seller ?

Dealers names are not mentioned in regard to negatively characterized items for sale. PM the member that posted the initial image.

Our favorite Malaysian seller has now been selling these "Oviraptor Eggs." Makes me angy to see this. I spent $1600 purchasing man made "Hadrosaur Eggs" from this guy over the summer because I didn't know any better, and now he's selling fake raptor eggs. I'm glad he didn't have these when I couldn't tell the difference because I probably would have purchased them, too. The single egg can be yours for $299 and double for $699.

post-19603-0-36999100-1453158565_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-84752500-1453158394_thumb.jpg

Here is part of the listing:

"Authenticity:
This egg is with partially restored/repaired.
Dinosaur eggs differ in size, shape, color, quantity and quality throughout the world.
Just because a dinosaur egg from other parts on earth looks/colors different does not mean all dinosaur eggs in the whole world should be the same."

What is this seller ?

Looking at his other listings he is selling mostly antiques. This appears to be his only "Fossil" for sale. Maybe he really just doesn't know...

The really disturbing part is if you look at his completed listings it appears that he has sold a number of those fake Oviraptor eggs to unsuspected buyers. No way to cut him off or notify the buyers.

Without question, people intentionally perpetrating fraud should be prosecuted and face the consequences. On the other hand, no one has a gun to the head of the buyers, forcing them to purchase fake items.

Reasonable people eventually educate themselves enough to minimize their risks in any voluntary purchase. That said, I don't think any customer, inherently, "deserves" to be defrauded if they blindly spend their money. However, the onus of their error and the fraud of a criminal are two separate matters, in my opinion.

This is why I value the opinion of you blokes on the forum, I'd far rather look like a fool by asking a silly question about the authenticity of a possible purchase than outlay the money only to discover that what I bought was rubbish! In the mean time I'm learning all the time by reading threads like this, thanks gents, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us all.