Iron concretion?

edd

Found it walking the shores of a lake in Romania, I'm thinking concretion but I like to be wrong.

post-1674-0-54365700-1449403487_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-57185000-1449403514_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Looks like pyrite and limonite. Can't completely rule out some kind of organic origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...or maybe Siderite?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

...or maybe Siderite?

Also possible; I thought pyrite because they seem to be cubic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Yes, they are cubic in shape... I'll keep it ;)

For me the crystals on the surface looks like those of this specimen. post-17588-0-12913700-1449433712_thumb.jpg
I'm in the idea of the replacement of Calcite and Dolomite by Siderite. I think, the Siderite crystallites should be oxidized to form a secondary fase of brown ferric oxide, to be Goethite.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It could also be hematite after cubic pyrite, by oxidation.

post-423-0-86042200-1449434356_thumb.jpg

I agree!
The concretion is reddish,could be from the presence of Hematite.
Is that possible, in a third phase, Goethite passing through Hematite in diagenetic crystallization and oxidation process?

Thomas Mann

My Library

nice specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

No matter the diagenetic process, it is possible that this could have started out as a coprolite. I wish I knew the geology of the area!

That's what I was thinking, coprolite... but I'm not familiar with the geology here either, I'm sure abyssunder knows it better then I. It was found in Tulcea region. I'm going to keep this "peanut" and take it back with me ;)

post-1674-0-98658600-1449438611_thumb.jpg Jut noticed it has a little more on its side.

Edited by edd

...Jut noticed it has a little more on its side.

If that is a continuation, and not a separate specimen, it could be a fecal pellet-filled burrow.

Yep!
I knew, when edd comes back to the original "state" something is wrong...
The Tulcea region from the far east of Romania is situated in the Danube Delta( a labyrinth for those who don't know the channels), part of the Dobrogean plateau whit it's eroded mountains of max 467m peak (Devonian - Permian at north, Cambrian - Silurian in central zone), the whole ensemble is arid all of the year looking like in desert.
As I know, the sediments of Tulcea are Werferian (Lower triassic) conglomerate, limestone and dolomite.
Maybe, is coprolite...

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hahaha, don't worry, I'll leave some stuff behind for you. Soon I'll post some things I found from a 6000 year old settlement... including a human tooth.

• 3 months later...

Took a strong magnet to it, nothing happened.

Streak (the mineral not you) test would help (you not the mineral) .

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno