How to prep trilobit moulds out of dolomite?

Velociraptor99

Hey TFF! Long time no see, I haven't been able to use the forum recently (for about two months) because of school. I won't be able to use it very often until Christmas break, and I won't be fossil hunting until the spring. We'll see what good ole' St. Nick brought this year by then. This year I won't even be mad if I get coal haha.

So I still have the specimens from my trip with the North Coast Fossil Club back in August. They are primarily calymene trilobite molds situated in tough dolomite. I have no expierence with prep work, so I'll do some research over break (when I'll be cataloging my fossils). Any ideas where to start?

ZiggieCie has suggested a diamond rock tile saw but I'm kind clueless.

Thanks, -Anthony

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

I have collected hundreds of those from the Laurel Dolomite near Bardstown, KY. I have broken way more then I got out whole. I came up with a process that worked pretty good without advanced equipment. If you can find some one who has a lapidary saw and let you use it. Cut up close to the fossil on all sides and cut just below it pretty close with out hitting the fossil. I than use a heavy ended butter knife and hit on the bottom side of the rock near the edge. I found that it would pop off the side exposing the sides of the trilobite. This doesn't all ways work but it did more than not.

post-6251-0-19149500-1449440405_thumb.png

• I found this Informative 2