Maclurites sp. gastropod from southeastern Minnesota

Fossil Claw

Bev was kind enough to send me some materials to practice on with my air scribe.

Here is a Maclurites that I did minimal work on to make the make it stand out on the matrix. This one goes on the display shelf.

Thank you again Bev!

post-16815-0-27943200-1449494817_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-44172700-1449494825_thumb.jpg

Here is one that was completely buried in hard matrix covering more brittle matrix.

I only came out ok.

post-16815-0-58159100-1449495087_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-66514200-1449495088_thumb.jpg

looks good

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Looks like difficult stuff to prep.

RB

That southeastern Minnesota limestone is a beast to work with. I have a hundred pounds or so of it containing crinoids, brachiopods, trilobites, etc. that my father collected while they were living in Winona. It is very difficult to prep but the preservation is usually great.

• 3 weeks later...

I have plenty of fossils from south eastern Minnesota, and many of the fossils contained within the rock are quite well preserved. I have a few (more than seven) trilobites that i have found in the last two summers looking down there. Even here in central Minnesota you can find plenty of crinoids and brachiopods of a good quality if you look hard enough.