ZiggieCie

A lot of people are always interested in Fossil preparation, the tools used, techniques, and just how it is done. Here are some links to photos and videos of prep labs, setups, and videos on how many Fossils are prepped, the tools used and what is involved in making Great Fossils look the way they do.

Here is a link to thousands of photos of Prep labs and the Fossils they work on. These photos will answer a lot of questions people have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fossil+preparation&rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS498US498&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirsJ7sjtXJAhULJB4KHTjiDrcQsAQIOg#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACXvXH34zLB2gIjgyYTPKoCFDYE2mvwR6UiDSZLZnxX9IeybnWUjVT9a90JaspIzGwprdVtPW-av7c0GmH652zg57uyoSCTJhM8qgIUNgEaaHw5u--XNlKhIJTaa_1BHpSINIRBn80JED0tU0qEglktmfFf0h7JhHC8vOe51UfOyoSCedZSNVP1r3QEbiG8VUDZr4kKhIJlqykjMbCmt0RnnZRhGGTvUgqEglW09b5q_1tzQREqPXGLDN_1FyyoSCaYfrnbODnu7Ebo5YNc1wVJT&q=fossil%20preparation

Here are links to on line and Youtube videos of people prepping various Fossils and the tools, setup and techniques they use. Usually each video has other links to similar videos.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS498US498&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=youtube%20fossil%20preparation

For Ammonite lovers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ammonite+fossil+preparation&rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS498US498&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKzsPXlNXJAhWHqx4KHeoxBLkQsAQILA&dpr=1

I hope these links work for you. I checked both and they worked.

Enjoy.

Ziggie

Edited by ZiggieCie
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks Ziggie, it will be entertaining and informative to review those videos. Skimming through the photos, I was unfavorably impressed at how many folks were bare-faced, when they should have been wearing dust protection. Maybe it was just because they were posing for a photo-op.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks Ziggie, it will be entertaining and informative to review those videos. Skimming through the photos, I was unfavorably impressed at how many folks were bare-faced, when they should have been wearing dust protection. Maybe it was just because they were posing for a photo-op.

I am with you, I hope it is just for the photo, or they have really good ventilation set up.

Thanks for posting these links, the photos are very interesting but I'm now going to settle back and watch the youtube clips and hopefully learn how to do this.

Ziggie, thanks for posting. I recognized a few people in the pics!

In the pics where the preparators seem to be doing general inspection or work with dental pics, I understand the lack of lung protection. You're not going to generate lung damaging dust in those activities.

At least a few of the pix also include some sort of dust suction device... very little further need for air mask.

I recognize quite a few folks in there as well... and even some of the labs.

Edited by jpc