Pachyrhizodus Jaws

Ptychodus04

I finished prep on this Pachyrhizodus caninus slab last night. It came from the Late Cenomanian Britton formation here in the Dallas area.

It only took me 44 months to get this one prepped. In that time, it moved from its original resting place to my garage where it saw a few hours of prep. Then it moved to my mom's garage for 7 months while I bought and remodeled a new house. Then, it moved to my new house where it sat for 20 months watching a horde of other fossils get prepped.

We had a boy scout camping trip cancel last weekend so I took the found time and got busy on this project. 5 hours with my Aro, 6 hours of micro-abrasive treatments, and 3 coats of PVA later and I'm finally done!

I know the photo is pretty poor, it was pretty dark when I got done with it. I'll try to get a better pic this afternoon.

post-4550-0-28556700-1450187542_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks very cool!

Great Job!!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice job on a strickly vegetarian fish, with teeth like that who needs meat

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice job on a strickly vegetarian fish, with teeth like that who needs meat

Tom

Shimada 2015 describes P. caninus as an "active carnivore" and also describes stomach contents of a P. caninus on display at the Perot which includes vertebrae and a fin fragment from an Ichthyodectiform fish.

• I found this Informative 1

Great prep!

Did you find this? Or is it for a museum?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great prep!

Did you find this? Or is it for a museum?

Thanks. I found it. It's going into my living room for now (once I build a stand for it). The thing weighs around 60 pounds! I'm not sure if it's museum worthy.

That's a fantastic Texas find! Congrats, Kris. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Really inspiring work I really like the “off the cuff and get stuck in approach “. It’s not every day someone nonchalantly says “to break out the arc welder “

Great stuff.

My son wants to know why we haven’t got one..!

Edited by DarrenElliot

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Really inspiring work I really like the “off the cuff and get stuck in approach “. It’s not every day someone nonchalantly says “to break out the arc welder “

Great stuff.

My son wants to know why we haven’t got one..!

:D I'd be a sad man without my welder. I'm thinking I need to make stands for all of my larger specimens now...