Double Trouble !

RJB

I got this rock from a good friend of mine in a trade last summer. About 2 weeks ago I started tp prep out one side. After a couple of hours I ran into ventral. SCREECH!!! I put it aside till 2 days ago. Once I ran into the dorsal of same crab I decided to attack the other side. I was cruizin along with my super jack and,,,,, SCREECH!!! I ran into a small crab that's not supposed to be there. Plus I damaged the crab! Its hard to see in these photos but the smaller crab is not on the same plane as the bigger crab and being that its not in the right spot Im automaticly assuming that there is yet another crab still in the rock on the left side? No matter what though, this is exciting! Woooooooop! Woooooop!

RB

post-171-0-11826100-1451483048_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-06376700-1451483066_thumb.jpg

This one's going to be NICE!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ha I wish I had your problems! I can't wait to see these little guys.

Years ago, I was at the Museum at the U of Washington and they had a display of WA crabs which included about a dozen specimens. One of them was a double crab concretion. Wow!! Ever since, a double crab concretion has been on my bucket list. Of course, with the amount of time I spend in the Pacific NW, it ain't likely to happen any time soon. Nice find, RB.

Thanks everyone. I will have to show you the update photo later today or tomorrow morning. Not lookin good!

RB

Here is an update photo. I was correct in determining a 3rd crab, but it turns out to be a very disarticulated ventral. The small crab has no rear end and no right legs and is missing the movable finger on the left pincer. The big crab has some badly folded legs on the left, one leg tight against the body on the right side and missing the entire right arm and the again missing the movable finger on the left pincer. Soooooooooooo disappointing!

RB

post-171-0-00142400-1451834619_thumb.jpg

Here is an update photo. I was correct in determining a 3rd crab, but it turns out to be a very disarticulated ventral. The small crab has no rear end and no right legs and is missing the movable finger on the left pincer. The big crab has some badly folded legs on the left, one leg tight against the body on the right side and missing the entire right arm and the again missing the movable finger on the left pincer. Soooooooooooo disappointing!

RB

One guys disappointment is another's show piece!

Any of us would love to have a triple crabber even if the crabs are less than perfect.

I hope you are going to keep on prepping it!?!?!?

Thanks guys. I was looking at it yesterday and wondered how long it would take me to finish up the rock and then do some rebuilding? Not sure if I want to put in that kind of time? I don't mean to sound so picky and spoiled but after you've done about 3000 crabs one tends to get that way. Im going to put it aside for now and see what time does.

RB

Thanks guys. I was looking at it yesterday and wondered how long it would take me to finish up the rock and then do some rebuilding? Not sure if I want to put in that kind of time? I don't mean to sound so picky and spoiled but after you've done about 3000 crabs one tends to get that way. Im going to put it aside for now and see what time does.

RB

Fair point.

I can't imagine having prepped 3,000 of anything.

Not for nothing RJB, but if you offered some

of your 'off spec' concretions for sale to prep

Apprentices, we could learn some claws on experience. Haha.

Obviously the time it takes just to determine if a concretion

contains a nice specimen can be cost prohibitive.

Some of us would be thrilled with being able to prep out a claw or leg.

Just a thought if your storage ever looks overwhelming:)

I always enjoy your posts and this one especially.

I've been working through some marine hash looking for complete

Specimens and understand the disappointment when things are missing.

It also gets hard to explain what you did for 2 or 3 hours that night. ;)

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey squali, I have sold many of my lessor crabs that ive givin up on in the past. All done on the message board. I rarely put a crab up for sale on the For Sale place.

RB

Oh ok I'll have to get better at that :)

Thanks again for your great posts.

Jeff

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey squali, I have sold many of my lessor crabs that ive givin up on in the past. All done on the message board. I rarely put a crab up for sale on the For Sale place.

RB

Hey RB how do I find the message board you are referring too?