Trilobite prep

Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone, I have a box of shale from the u dig quarry and while splitting a piece of shale,I find a nice large Trilobite. The tail and thoracic segment are complete but the head is stuck in the negative part(impression section ). Is there any way of removing the head from the impression section to put back with the main Trilobite. I'm still new to this and only have dremel tool to clean with.

Thanks for Any help that can be given.

The usual approach is to glue it back together tightly and prep it out with an air scribe. Without access to that tool, and some acquired skill at using it, you may be able to make some headway with your Dremel, and finish up with dental picks.

Sounds like an adventure!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is the Trilobite with the head glued back,does anyone know how to reveal the head. I have only a dremel as I'm new abd I can't afford air tools.

post-17700-0-68066200-1451792544_thumb.jpg

Air scribe would be best but the head doesn't look too deep in the matrix so something like this might work. It will be slow compared to an air scribe.

I think the dremel might destroy it.

It also looks like there might not be enough of a difference between the matrix and trilo to be able to work it out. It looks to be missing the shell like it has been totally replaced by matrix.

http://m.harborfreight.com/electric-engraver-46099.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Edited by Fossil Claw