Styracosaurus fossils

Killclaw

I've done a pretty good job trying to track down a piece of all my favourite dinosaurs so far but this particular critter seems real elusive and its got me stumped, maybe because most specimens are from Canada, I don't know.

Anyway does anyone possess any or can point me in the right direction as to where I might acquire something that can positively be identified as Styracosaurus please?

• I found this Informative 1

Close to impossible to find one. Styracosaurus is from the Dinosaur Park Formation, a very unusual to see fossils for sale from. It's also from Canada where it is illegal to export fossils from. And probably the biggest reason why you don't see any fossils labeled as being from Styracosaurus is because there are so many ceratopsians from the Dinosaur Park Formation. It would be very hard, if not impossible to distinguish a Styracosaurus fossils from another ceratopsians. There was a tooth from one for sale a while back but the info didn't sound right on it. Hope this helps!

By the way, good luck on your hunt to collect all your favorite dino fossils! Glad to hear you've knocked quite a few off.

• I found this Informative 2

One of my favorite Dinosaurs. Have to agree with Runner64. I think there may be localities other than DPF where material has been found but it's a mute issue since the only way to positively ID a tooth is in a bonebed or with an articulated specimen. If you are interested in bones not sure if there are any diagnostic differences from other Centrosaurs of that age. If you see any material sold I would be very suspect of it being authentic.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for the insight fellers, kind of confirms my worst suspicions but its also helpful to know that its a case of those specimens just not being out there rather than me just missing them!

I guess I'll have to file it next to Giganotosaurus, Utahraptor, Compsognathus and Quetzalcoatlus in my 'challenging' acquisitions list!

I know what you mean! When I first started dino collecting, I was trying to hit all the well known dinosaurs. There are a number of them that I still haven't been able to get. Styracosaurus is one of them. Don't give up, if you put in the time and ask around, I'm sure something will pop up at some point. Just be patient.

That's a pretty tricky list :/. I've only heard of one Gigantosaurus tooth in a collection and none for the others. I'd say from easiest to hardest, your best bet is Compsognathus, Styracosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Gigantosaurus, and Utahraptor last. Good luck! Keep searching around.

Thanks for sharing that, definitely my favourite ceratopsian and the dinosaur I'd probably most like to take a ride on the back of! They don't seem to crop up to regularly so I'm impressed to see that coming on display.

That would do quite nicely for my collection actually.

I guess if I was looking for a Styracosaurus fossil one of the frill spikes would be a nice piece you could tie down to that particular beast rather than just a generic ceratopsian tooth for instance. I know they've found Styrac's in Montana so maybe one will crop up one day.