Nrs Find

Mike Owens

Thanks Mike. I had heard about this, but it's great to see the pics.

Falling with beer and a cooler will make you mentally balance somewhat.

Complete! How long did it take to excavate?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

four or five thoughts here - first, you unspeakable cad! never trip with beer in your hands! what if you'd broken one!

ok, tomorrow i'm taking a week off work and hustling to a location 100 miles east of the paris bridge, north bank. a tip like that can't be passed up, even if the likelihood is that after 30-some years there aren't any pieces left laying around. (yes, it's "laying", not "lying".).). (i never can figure out what to do with punctuation and parentheses].

did i ever tell ya'll that tj actually saved our lives up around there close to two years ago? tj flat saved our lives. here's the deal. wait, am i hijacking someone's thread? dang, probably. ok, forget all that. bye. <slinking out>

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Man, That looks like some sticky mud. I'll bet that was a pain to get out. Do you have any pictures of it out and cleaned up? Did they put it back together, in a standing mount?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Great find! What happened to it ? The Bison ..... Not the beer. I assume I know their fate.

This specimen was found about a 100 yds East of the "Paris Bridge" (Hwy 19/24) on the North bank...This is also the same site in which I fell from the top of the bank to the river bottom...

I'm just glad that you came out better than the bison, otherwise we wouldn't be enjoying your retrospectives now. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's great to relive the past through someone elses eyes! Dave Daniel told me about a Bison that came out of that same bridge,but I believe the one he worked on came from the West side. There is bound to be another one weather out sooner or later.Rain,Rain,Rain!!!

The scull was restored. Robert was looking for a museum to donate it to, if they would finish the mounting. He never found one that would take it under those terms. He died in 1992 & all his fossils were stored with his sister. She sold them to a fossil dealer.

So the next question is....Does anyone on this forum own a slightly restored Bison skull from the NSR that was bought from a fossil dealer around 1993-1995 :unsure:

My kind of guy

tthe berr first first :drool:

What age was the bessty from

the Bud or the Miller :faint:

good find any how

Mike...

VERY interesting topic! I met Robert Price back in the early 1980s and we discussed this exact find! In 1983, Joe Kennedy and I found a second Bison skeleton eroding from the riverbank wall at almost EXACTLY the same spot as Robert got this one. It was completely intact EXCEPT for the skull...down to every caudal vertebra and every phalanx. I did some comparative work on the bones using reference skeletons of Bison bison and Bison antiquus and found that the skeleton we discovered was closest to a large bull Bison bison. I always wondered what happened to Robert's specimen...I guess now I know!

Thanks,

Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library