My latest Crab prep.

RJB

This rock concretion has sat for at least 2 years, maybe 3 or 4. I went to the far right side of my prep bench and found some crabs that were 'ventral' and found this one. I simply turned it over and started to prep again. Turns out it was a bit 'sticky' meaning that the rock was very attached to the crab shell materal. The arms were the worst. Plus a sticky crab takes twice as long as a crab that is not sticky, soooooooo, even though this crab took a long long time I also had to add some acrylics to kinda hide all the places that I beat up. You can see all the orange places where it got beat up. Trying to get very close to the crab shell material and trying to be as carful as possible it still takes off shell material. Just sucks, but you have to work with mother nature gives you. The thing is, lots of leg, complete carapace and lots of leg. Turns out to be a purty good crab.

First picture is what I call the 'ruff out'. Second picture is what I call my first 'smooth out' of the rock and then I do lots of detail work with a smaller scribe, then some more 'smooth out', then I sauce it up with glyptal. I like it.

RB

post-171-0-33562800-1452295406_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-42448300-1452295420_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-07625000-1452295434_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

Ludwigia: There is just a hole on the underneath side, but from what little I can see, it looks purty good. The rock came off really well on the small portion that is exposed. I was wondering myself If I should somehow do a '2 sider'?

RB

. I was wondering myself If I should somehow do a '2 sider'?

RB

Sounds like a good project to Me! Would love to see the results!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

Ludwigia: There is just a hole on the underneath side, but from what little I can see, it looks purty good. The rock came off really well on the small portion that is exposed. I was wondering myself If I should somehow do a '2 sider'?

RB

I was just curious with a similar thought in mind. You'll have to be careful around that disarticulated claw if you do try to do something.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/