Many Paleozoic fossils

PRK

In the mid '90s I went to the macomb show. Along the way we stopped at several roadcuts, gathering a handful at every cut. Any ideas?

post-9950-0-92956500-1453006821_thumb.jpg

Looks like mostly brachiopods and rugose corals to me. I can pick out a few spirifers for sure. A lot of crinoid stems as well

Edited by Pumpkinhead

looks like you have a mixture of Devonian and Mississippian corals and brachiopods and crinoid stems

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul, I think there are some neat things there, particularly the root beer colored brachs....I think a return trip would be nice to revisit those sites--but maybe not this time of year. What is this one in your photo...Another productid brach? or something else?

post-1240-0-05059800-1454795242_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

The piece you point out is a pyrite nugget.i really do know nothing about these pieces. Although I know they are fossils. AND---------

they were collected many years ago, while I was on a 5000mile trip back east, 2000 miles from here. Not likely ill be back!

PK

PS: what are the spike thingys?

Edited by PRK

Interesting are the (3) crinoid spines, the spiny brachial plates (axillary plates), if I'm correct.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi Chris

The piece you point out is a pyrite nugget.i really do know nothing about these pieces. Although I know they are fossils. AND---------

they were collected many years ago, while I was on a 5000mile trip back east, 2000 miles from here. Not likely ill be back!

PK

PS: what are the spike thingys?

Thanks Paul for the reply. Abyssunder says crinoids so that makes sense to me. They had all kinds of forms and wild anatomy. You can probably separate them out and get some decent photos with scale/front and back and one of the crinoid gurus might be able come up with a genus for you.

Yep, have done those east west cross country trips several times in days gone by. It is a long haul! The north south trips can be interesting as well.

Regards, Chris

looks like you have a mixture of Devonian and Mississippian corals and brachiopods and crinoid stems

This is what I also see. Some of the brachs are Devonian...others most likely middle to early Carboniferous.