Which air scribe

glu

Hi everyone I'm going to buy an air scribe that can be good for removing matrix but also that can do a decent work near the fossil. I was thinking of Chicago cp9361 but is too expensive for me and I can't find an used one for a good price. I found online a cheap air tool produced by dnsons tools. Has anyone tried? Other suggestions? Thanks everyone

Chicago Pneumatic CP9160 is much cheaper and a good starter scribe. It also packs a little less punch which makes it good for more delicate close up work.

I know folks that use both depending on the work they need to do. CP9361 for volume matrix removal and the CP9160 for more delicate close up work.

I only have the CP9160 so I use it for both purposes.

There is also the All Air Tools - 8315B Air Scriber.

I believe you must call them to order, but it only costs about $100.00 US. Mention that you wish to use it for fossil preparation.

They will sell to you. Not sure on the shipping price, however.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the andvices. I sent an email to All Air tools hoping they ship to Italy. Is the stylus good for fossils or I have to change it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All Air Products responded about prepping fossils.

8315B is $120.00. The 8315B-17E extended tip, which we recommend

having is $25.00.

Freight in the US is $8.00

All Air Products responded about prepping fossils.

8315B is $120.00. The 8315B-17E extended tip, which we recommend

having is $25.00.

Freight in the US is $8.00

Ha! I paid $12.50 for postage from them in the US and bought exactly the same (scribe + tip).

Ah well :P

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

You an buy a cheap model, then another and then another and then................or spend the bucks and get a good one that will last a life time. Kind of like buying that used car........

Jim

I recieved my 8315B from All Air last week and I have to say it is a quality tool.

Perhaps since the owner is also the tool manufacture it costs less. At $120 I wouldn't say it's cheap.

I worked on some Devonian trilobites and a little on a crab concretion and it handled the matrix with out a problem.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Actually at 120 bucks it is one of the less expensive tools. And it should last dang near a lifetime.

Edited by jpc

Old Dead Things - some people can't afford to drop 300+ on a scribe. I'm waiting to get mine to see how it goes :) (8315B)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I purposely didn't put a price limit in my post. My intent is to suggest that top of the line scribes will last, with proper care for a long time.

The CP9361 I bought 18 years ago is still in use, I scrimped and saved to get it, worth every penny. I realize the price has gone up, but averaging it out, $11 a year

has been worth the investment. Three other scribes of lesser value are in the junk drawer.

Jim

Fair enough.

What do all the numbers mean? Do they represent anything or is it just each companies model designation (and does that have any significance?)

hey squali, did you go with the extended tip as well for your prep?

Yes I got the extra tip. It is only a quarter inch longer but it does make a difference in smaller spaces.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I picked up an 8315B from All-Air this week and I really am liking it! You can dial it down for some really good detail work or actually move some rock if you crank it up. Just have a good regulator and keep your air dry. It should do well for most folks. I just started prep tonight on this Isotelus with this unit as we speak actually. :)

Isotelus Gigas

Edited by kurdelmb