T-Rex Tooth

Pterosaur

Hi there,

I have a tooth found in Montana that I'd like to identify if possible. :)

It could be a raptor tooth, and was originally identified as such. However, it looks pretty fat to be a raptor tooth, and I'd just like to double check that it's not t-rex. .

Thank you!!

Lauren.

post-15415-0-55038600-1454303882_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-34110200-1454303864_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-73672500-1454303874_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-28753600-1454303890_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-58897200-1454303898_thumb.jpeg

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Yupp it's a tyrannosaurid tooth. It's definitely not a raptor tooth. It is too fat and not recurved. Also, raptor teeth have larger serrations on one side. This looks just like my Rex tooth tip from Hell Creek.

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Yupp it's a tyrannosaurid tooth. It's definitely not a raptor tooth. It is too fat and not recurved. Also, raptor teeth have larger serrations on one side. This looks just like my Rex tooth tip from Hell Creek.

Here's mine :)

Wow, thank you both for the info and pictures. So do you think this is the tip of a tyrannosaurid tooth or that of a juvenile?

No problem! :) It is definitely the tip of a tyrannosaurid tooth. The whole tooth was probably around 3 inches. I am not very experienced with fossils because I'm a beginner, so I don't know for sure if it is a Tyrannosaurus rex tooth tip or if it's from another tyrannosaurid.

• I found this Informative 1

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Out of the question to be a Raptor and not compressed enough for Nano. Have to agree with Raptor Lover looks like the tip of a T rex. Fat, serrations going around tip and big. I don't think it's from a big tooth, to narrow, and hard to tell what age animal it's from probably Juvie. Adult replacement teeth however can start off smaller.

Edit: I made the assumption you found it at Freds. Believe it or not he and R came to the Tucson fossil show.

Edited by Troodon

One would need to be more specific about the location where the specimen was found in Montana. The Age of the sediments, Formation, etc. Is it Hell Creek? Judith River?...or found at a locale that has not been studied?

There isn't a finite list of possible types of theropods ...just the ones we know from specific sediments at specific locations. Theropods had a bunch of teeth with different shapes depending on the placement in the jaws. We can find two teeth together that would appear unrelated if not eroding out of the same jaw fragment.

To be able to call it T rex, it would have to be from the Hell Creek Fm. If it is form the Judith River Fm we can only say 'tyrannosaurud'.

• 1 month later...

Out of the question to be a Raptor and not compressed enough for Nano. Have to agree with Raptor Lover looks like the tip of a T rex. Fat, serrations going around tip and big. I don't think it's from a big tooth, to narrow, and hard to tell what age animal it's from probably Juvie. Adult replacement teeth however can start off smaller.

Edit: I made the assumption you found it at Freds. Believe it or not he and R came to the Tucson fossil show.

Yes, I found it at Fred's, so your your assumption was accurate! It was in two pieces when we found it, and they thought it was raptor. Wasn't until I got home and put it together that I thought it looked like trex.

I can't believe they went to Tucson! That's awesome. I wanted to go pretty badly, but just couldn't make it out there. Maybe next year! I've heard it's amazing.