How to prep fish from the Orcadian Basin (Old Red Sandstone)

Coelacanth

Hello, I have recently acquired several unprepped fossils from the Orkney Islands (Coccosteus cuspidatus, Osteolepis macrolepidotus), and I was wondering how one would go about cleaning them up a bit. The bone is replaced by black apatite monohydrate and the matrix is a type of limestone. Based on this, I'm certain that a weak solution of hydrochloric acid could be used to etch the fossil out. Still, I was wondering what the consensus among scientists was about the method of preparing these Orcadian fishes. If anyone here can provide an answer to that question, please do so below. Thanks!

Edited by Coelacanth

How to prep fossils from Orkney is not really my area of expertise, but this must be a calculation error - 10.7 mol/dm3 is concentrated hydrochloric acid, almost 34%! You don't want to use that!

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

How to prep fossils from Orkney is not really my area of expertise, but this must be a calculation error - 10.7 mol/dm3 is concentrated hydrochloric acid, almost 34%! You don't want to use that!

Thomas

34% sounds okay if used very sparingly, and maybe a far lower percentage for areas closer to the bones, to minimize damage if it should occur.

34% sounds okay if used very sparingly, and maybe a far lower percentage for areas closer to the bones, to minimize damage if it should occur.

Really? Pure, undiluted HCL? This is already fuming HCl - 38% is the maximum concentration which can be produced​ and handled at room temperature.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

34% is very dangerous and overkill. You'll probably won't be able to control the prep too. A saturated solution of hydrogen chloride gas is 43% (which is concentrated hydrochloric acid) and a pH of less than one (yes you can get a pH of less than 1!). 5% acetic acid, (roughly the strength of distilled vinegar) is pH 2.5ish. One step on the pH scale is 10x.

• I found this Informative 1

34% is very dangerous and overkill. You'll probably won't be able to control the prep too. A saturated solution of hydrogen chloride gas is 43% (which is concentrated hydrochloric acid) and a pH of less than one (yes you can get a pH of less than 1!). 5% acetic acid, (roughly the strength of distilled vinegar) is pH 2.5ish. One step on the pH scale is 10x.

So acetic acid is about the same PH as most soda :P

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Oops, misremembered the molar mass of Hydrochloric acid - 36.46, not 26.46. So, let's see - m = (%/100*D*cm^3/MOL)/dm^3 = (.274*1.017*1000/36.46)/dm^3 = approx. 7.6/dm^3. OK, so I meant 7.6 Mol/dm^3, not 10.7. Sorry.

P.S In the case of HCl (very strong acid) you can assume that it is 100% ionized in H2O. Therefore, pH= -log (molarity), so -log(7.6) = -0.88 !!!!! (Guess I will have to dilute it a bit.) IFF anyone has any experience with this type of prep work, I was wondering how far to dilute this solution.

Edited by Coelacanth

Oops, misremembered the molar mass of Hydrochloric acid - 36.46, not 26.46. So, let's see - m = (%/100*D*cm^3/MOL)/dm^3 = (.274*1.017*1000/36.46)/dm^3 = approx. 7.6/dm^3. OK, so I meant 7.6 Mol/dm^3, not 10.7. Sorry.

P.S In the case of HCl (very strong acid) you can assume that it is 100% ionized in H2O. Therefore, pH= -log (molarity), so -log(7.6) = -0.88 !!!!! (Guess I will have to dilute it a bit.) IFF anyone has any experience with this type of prep work, I was wondering how far to dilute this solution.

Goodness me, that's what i gotta learn to be able to do if i get into college :o

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Goodness me, that's what i gotta learn to be able to do if i get into college :o

When I went to college I had to learn moles without using a scientific calculator! Log tables and longhand for me then...

Here's the PDF file, pretty old but may be of use.

toombs1959.pdf

Thanks, John! I didn't do well at Chem in high school, for some reason couldn't wrap my head around moles. But going by improvements in algebra I'm thinking this time around I can do it.

Two papers about transfer preparation of fossils - within there, you will also find some information about acid prep:

Challenges encountered during acid resin transfer preparation of fossil fish from Monte Bolca

STANDARD PREPARATION TECHNIQUE FOR FOSSIL FISH FROM THE ROMALDO MEMBER

STANDARD PREPARATION TECHNIQUE FOR FOSSIL FISH FROM THE ROMALDO MEMBER.pdf

Have fun

Thomas

Hello, I have recently acquired several unprepped fossils from the Orkney Islands (Coccosteus cuspidatus, Osteolepis macrolepidotus), and I was wondering how one would go about cleaning them up a bit. The bone is replaced by black apatite monohydrate and the matrix is a type of limestone. Based on this, I'm certain that a weak solution of hydrochloric acid could be used to etch the fossil out. Still, I was wondering what the consensus among scientists was about the method of preparing these Orcadian fishes. If anyone here can provide an answer to that question, please do so below. Thanks!

If you are sure the fossils are silica and not Ca-phospate, you can use acid prep without problems. However, many fossils are not pure silica but Ca-phosphate, so you might consider acetic acid (5% or so) buffered with phosphate.

By the way, I never heard about apatite monohydrate - I guess you are talking about hydroxylapatite [ Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 ]. Hydroxylapatite (or hydroxyapatite) is soluble in acids - so you need to use a phosphate buffer.

Thomas

PS: I would prep them with an air scribe or with a sand blaster - not by acid prep.

Edited by oilshale

I am not talking about hydroxylapatite, I am speaking of dehydrated hydroxylapatite with the chemical formula [Ca10(PO4)6(OH)]. I had a sneaking suspicion that the acid could dehydrate it further, then dissolve the remaining apatite, but I wasn't sure (Ph.D. in physics, not chemistry). Thanks for the advice, though. The bone is very friable, so I was concerned that if I used an air scribe pieces might flake off. However, I did a little research, and the consensus seems to be the usage of ~4% phosphate buffered HCl for the detail, but to remove the overburden with a scribe. Thanks for the .pdfs, though!

I am not talking about hydroxylapatite, I am speaking of dehydrated hydroxylapatite with the chemical formula [Ca10(PO4)6(OH)].

Well..er.. this forum is all about fossils and not about chemistry - so I shouldn't mind.

But sorry, this chemical formula [Ca10(PO4)6(OH)] is just plain wrong; a compound with such a stoichiometry cannot exist. You said you are speaking about dehydrated Apatite - this would mean 1 unit of water (H2O) left the molecule. But your formula indicates that 1 unit of OH- left the molecule (OH is negatively charged!). But then, the remaining part (your "dehydrated Apatite") would be positively charged which is of course not possible. This formula is simply nonsense. Better repeat Chemistry 101. :D

If you dehydrate hydroxylapatite you might end up in [Ca10(PO4)6]2O - at temperatures in excess of 1400°C.

Thomas

I didn't read the pdfs, yet, but when using acids to prep invertebrates, I always pre-soak in water to saturate the specimen. Putting a dry specimen into an acid treatment just begs for future problems. Something to consider....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Air abrasion would be the prefered method of preparation. This Osteolepis from the Orkney Islands has had no acid treatment. Scales are nice and reflective, even after air abrasion. I haven't tested the matrix, but I would expect very little fizz from acid, since it seems very much siliceous.

post-296-0-48166100-1456372391_thumb.jpg