Krylon clear acrylic vs paraloid B-72

steelhead9

Does anyone know of a reason not to use Krylon clear adhesive 1301 in place of paraloid B-72 for fossil preservation The active ingredient in the krylon is paraloid B-66 which is slightly harder than B-72. Thanks!

Do you want to use it as an adhesive, as a consolidant, or as a coating?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Paraloid B66 seems to be a Methyl methacrylate / Butyl methacrylate (~50:50) copolymer whereas the B72 is an Ethyl methacrylate / Methylacrylate copolymer. Both polymers should be very stable against yellowing plus the coating is reversible (soluble in toluene). The slightly higher glass-transition temperature (40 vs 50°C) is definitely no problem - should be even better.

Only thing I don't like is the application as spray paint. It is very convinient, but spray paints are formulated with highly volatile organic solvents - people want them to be dry with minutes. I prefer to dissolve the polymer in organic solvents with lower volatility (f.e. toluene) and use brush application to get a better penetration.

Thomas

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Paraloid B66 seems to be a Methyl methacrylate / Butyl methacrylate (~50:50) copolymer whereas the B72 is an Ethyl methacrylate / Methylacrylate copolymer. Both polymers should be very stable against yellowing plus the coating is reversible (soluble in toluene). The slightly higher glass-transition temperature (40 vs 50°C) is definitely no problem - should be even better.

Only thing I don't like is the application as spray paint. It is very convinient, but spray paints are formulated with highly volatile organic solvents - people want them to be dry with minutes. I prefer to dissolve the polymer in organic solvents with lower volatility (f.e. toluene) and use brush application to get a better penetration.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas. Very Helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Great question Steel,

I came across some Paraloid B-99, which is softer than the 72 and had a very similar question!

and thank you for the helpful response Oilshale!