sand blasting box

Scottnokes2015

Hey fellow friends,

Does anyone have a plan of building a sand blasting box cheaply. I'm a forensic science student and don't have much money. This is my first time making one and appreciate any help that can be given

Thanks everyone

Scott

Edited by ScottNokes

you can buy a nice steel one from Harbor Freight for about $150.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

you could also just cut hole in the top that is slightly smaller than your glass and mount the glass with mirror clips. Instead of silicone which is fairly permanent, a strip of thin weather stripping works well. Easier to replace when you need to. Malcolm's plans are good and easy and about as cheap as you will get. If you can build an insulated box around the shop vac, it will dampen the nouse. Those things are LOUD.

I actually only put dabs of silicone in the four corners on the top of the glass. The suction provides a great seal when the vacuum is turned on. The arm holes ensure that there is good airflow into the box.

Than you malcom,it's just what I was looking for. Did you make the arm flap to a circular tube to seal around your wrists.

Than you malcom,it's just what I was looking for. Did you make the arm flap to a circular tube to seal around your wrists.

It is necessary and desirable to have a place for air to flow into the box, else it would not have any to exhaust. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No the arm holes need relatively unrestricted airflow , what I did was I cut some 2 inch strips from an old dish towel and tacked them above the arm holes. Except for the armholes and the vacuum outlet you want the box to be air tight as Auspex indicated. Using the dish towel strips allows air in but prevents any back blast if you point the nozzle towards the arm holes.

Edited by Malcolmt

Here are wo pictures from different angles of the blast box and prep area. Unfortunately I am restricted to a fairly small area in the laundry room for prepping so I have to make the most of a small space. For me what was important was that I could get a fairly large piece of matrix in and out of the box. All the lights and scopes swing out easily allowing the lid on the box to be opened and closed in under 60 seconds. . Currently the box has a slab in it that is about 1 foot by two feet. In the box is a lab jack that I use as a platform to raise and lower the fossil. I rarely raise or lower the scope , the scope above the blast boz basically permanently stays fixed about 1 inch above the glass.

post-4886-0-22613700-1456419289_thumb.jpg

Slightly different angle

post-4886-0-36879900-1456419287_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Great set up. Do you stand or sit? If you use a chair could you show a pic with it?

I cannot seem to get a comfortable set up.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

No the arm holes need relatively unrestricted airflow , what I did was I cut some 2 inch strips from an old dish towel and tacked them above the arm holes. Except for the armholes and the vacuum outlet you want the box to be air tight as Auspex indicated. Using the dish towel strips allows air in but prevents any back blast if you point the nozzle towards the arm holes.

Hmmmm. I like your towels in arm holes. I may do the same to mine.

JPC... I have them tacked to both the inside and outside of the box.

Cool... I could see them on the outside, I had thought of putting them on the inside, but both is even better. I htink they might be better than my old inner tubes, and easier to find.

I took an old pair of jeans, cut off 30cm of the trouser legs, sewed-on a rubber band and attacked them to the armholes.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Squali... I sit on a gas adjustable stool that I got from Uline. Not particularly cheap was $199 Canadian if I recall about two years ago, Also got the metal bench with wooden thick top from there... love the bench very heavy duty and just fit my available space.

post-4886-0-48619900-1456508061_thumb.jpg

Before this I used to sit on a bar stool this is much better but takes a bit of getting used to the weird short back on it.

No problem instantly raising it or lowering it based on where the zoom scope is.

Edited by Malcolmt

Thank you for your response. Yes I think a good chair/stool is important.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 2 weeks later...