A Couple Of Crinoids, And 3 Trilobites

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I noticed a crinoid(not posted) on a rock that I had missed a few weeks ago. While doing a little prep, I saw what appeared to be the "ribs" of a brachiopod, so I hit it with some dolomite, and low and behold, it was another odontopleurid. They are rare around here... especially in the beds that I collect. Unfortunately, the anterior end was missing,but still it is a nice find. I have only found a couple of pieces of odontopleurids in 25 years before this week; found two this week(see the other crinoid thread). It is probably a Primaspis sp.

I also started working on a rather large Isotelus gigas that I found a while back, and a Pychnocrinus(???) that I found last year. It turned out that the Pychnocrinus piece had two calyx on the slab.

Odontopleurid (Primaspis ???)

post-179-1241226612_thumb.jpg

As can be seen with this Isotelus, the posterior is a dorsal view, but the anterior is ventral(somewhat common in molts). While prepping this one, I started to scribe on through the ventral thinking that it was just more trilobite hash. The bed in which this one was found is made up almost entirely of Isotelus fragments, but I have pulled a few whole ones over the years.

post-179-1241226890_thumb.jpg

This is another Isotelus from the same bed that I was hoping was complete, but no such luck.

post-179-1241226959_thumb.jpg

And finally, the double Pychnocrinus. I originally thought that the bed that I have been finding all the Pychnocrinus was some kind of lagoon, or channel, in which the crinoids lived(and died); now I am beginning to think that they were transported to the burial site during a storm???. The preservation on some is excellent, but others not so great. Though, the bed was a channel or lagoon just off shore.

post-179-1241227240_thumb.jpg

Solius you always have the coolest finds and your prep is great. I just want to follow you around for a few days I never read one of your post without learning something. Thanks

Seldom

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Great finds!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest solius symbiosus
Solius you always have the coolest finds and your prep is great. I just want to follow you around for a few days I never read one of your post without learning something. Thanks

Seldom

Thanks guy, though my prep work is amaturish at best, I am one mean person((expletive??? deleted)by myself)) with a pin vice. Anyway, anytime you are in my area, let me know. :D

Treasure inside treasure, how cool is that!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very cool finds...and I wouldn't knock the prep work!

Will admit to a touch of envy....have never got to hunt in TB turf.

Be true to the reality you create.