Insect Wings From St. Clair!

Shamalama

While going through some of the stuff I found at St. Clair last week, I came across a couple of pieces I picked up thinking they were large Neuropteris leaves. A closer look revealed a different kind of veination more akin to an insect wing than a leaf. I am flat out flabbergasted! I'd heard of insects being found in Carboniferous strata but never expected to find some myself. I could be wrong (just read through some of my arguments with Solius tongue.gif ) but I think my instinct is correct.

Positive and Negative of wing

attachicon.gifwing_1.jpg attachicon.gifwing_2.jpg

Closer view of the second pic

attachicon.gifwing_2_clup.jpg

What a rare window into the past you opened! I would definitely consider showing it to a museum, if not donating it or loaning it. Just think, you could have your last name italicized into the prehistory books ;)

Wow. That's amazing! Very cool. I still have Saint Clair material to look through. Should keep my eyes open!!! :) :)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

If you want something named after you, donate that to a museum.

Why would he have to relinquish ownership of it to get a new species named? Is that seriously the way it works?

Edited by engineeringstudent

Why would he have to relinquish ownership of it to get a new species named? Is that seriously the way it works?

Yes. You need to donate the specimen to a museum's collection, so that it is available for study to any paleontologist who wishes to study the holotype specimen, upon which a new species was erected. This is the usual way it works. To have anything published and named after you, at least.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Anything that is Scientifically studied needs to be publicly accessible (Museum or University collection) so that other scientists can confirm, contradict, or add upon the initial finding in the future.

Edited by Stocksdale
  • I found this Informative 1

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan