Prep with microwave?

sdsnl

I watched a video of someone showing his fossils, and he mentioned in passing that he prepped one of them by putting it in the microwave. He said that the matrix came off after the heating. I guess it's similar to freeze-thaw's principle, but it sounds like a risk thing to do. Has anyone tried this method? What do you think about it?

Bad idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it has trapped moisture in it could explode. Definitely a less than good thing to be doing. Sort of like drying your wet cat in the microwave.... not recommended.

If it has trapped moisture in it could explode. Definitely a less than good thing to be doing. Sort of like drying your wet cat in the microwave.... not recommended.

My buddy tried it on a small bone from the Hell Creek and that's exactly what happened it exploded

I've dried dissolved matrix containing microfossils in the microwave without any damage. But, it's hard to trap much moisture in a <1mm tooth!

Most of the time quick drying is bad and at the very least unnecessary.

I use the microwave occasionally to drive off moisture from blasting medium (glass beads). Beyond that, I think (as others have opined) it might be a bad idea.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Years ago a fossil group I was with used that method on some crab concretions. They soaked the concretions in water and then wrapped them in towels before putting them in the microwave. The towels prevented them from exploding in the microwave, but the results were mixed. I preferred just cracking the concretions with a chisel and hammer.

• I found this Informative 1

I had Pete Palmer from the Institute for Cambrian Studies take some of my specimens and cook them in a pot on a stove plate and cool them off several times to weaken the hard quartzite they were encased in. It definitely made the matrix more amenable to removal.

---Prem

Edited by prem

Microwave= big NO.

Oven= sure.

I'll bake my micro matrix after breaking it down in the oven on 275F until all moisture is gone. No problems.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Hey crabfossilsteve, I knew a guy who used the 'wet towel' trick. The towel caught on fire. Ha!!! I also knew a guy who ruined his microwave when the rock exploded!! Again,,,, Ha!!!! Im just gunna stay with taking the rock off the top with my tools and stay with that. No explosions, no fire. Ha!!!

RB

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend it as a quick fossil prep method...ha ha.

It would be a great story to tell the shop where the microwave was bought from when you took it back under warranty, "Your crappy microwave exploded the rock I was cooking and ruined it!"

post-2806-0-91075900-1457622914_thumb.jp

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Previous discussion: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heh, I remember putting a siderite concretion in the microwave back before I knew what it actually was, compositionally speaking. Won't do that again any time soon.