Crabs. Eocene. Ukraine. South Kyiv region.

Andriy

If I measured correctly and, as you said, the location of the finds is 150 km south from Kiev, that means it could be somewhere near to Buky locality (which is at the distance of 151,14km south from Kiev in a straight line). Considering this, compared with the geological map posted way back by CraigHyatt, I think  the sediments there are not from Eocene (P2-3), but from Miocene (N1). Also, the support material (matrix) and the preservation of the crab parts looks similar with the samples I've found in the Miocene of Romania.

100_4028.JPG100_4029.JPG100_4035.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Many thanks!)

All findings, along with other types -

was found in the Paleocene clays.

And also ibid are pieces of wood and amber...

DSCN8678.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

On 14/12/2016 at 11:39 PM, abyssunder said:

If I measured correctly and, as you said, the location of the finds is 150 km south from Kiev, that means it could be somewhere near to Buky locality (which is at the distance of 151,14km south from Kiev in a straight line). Considering this, compared with the geological map posted way back by CraigHyatt, I think  the sediments there are not from Eocene (P2-3), but from Miocene (N1). Also, the support material (matrix) and the preservation of the crab parts looks similar with the samples I've found in the Miocene of Romania.

100_4028.JPG100_4029.JPG100_4035.JPG

Nice paguroids !

:)

Thanks, MB! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library