Look what I found

RJB

I went through some stuff on the far left of my prep bench and found this! I will post some pics tomorrow or the next day after some rock removal. I got this conc in a batch that I got from some fellas last year in Washington. I hope its a gooden?

RB

post-171-0-10269200-1458249049_thumb.jpg

I'd love to get the chance to go hunting in your shed :D Looks like one of the better sites in your galaxy ;)

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If it came from your bench, I've no doubt that it will be something quite nice.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

That's a cool bench. I like that one at the end of the arrow.

Is that a swimmer fin?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I'd love to get the chance to go hunting in your shed :D Looks like one of the better sites in your galaxy ;)

That ain't no lie.

Jeff

Thanks fella's.

JP: Yes, the arrow itself tells me that's the 'top' of the crab and the direction of the arrow tells me the 'front' of the crab. But this was an easy one. The rock itself was a bit odd so I had my son 'WACK' it with the mini sledge. You just cant see the break in the photo.

RB

Ok, this one hurt big time. I read the depth of the crab horribly!!! I thought for sure I had at least another 1/2 inch of rock to remove before I started using my ME9100. Boy was I wrong!!! The crab itself was sitting higher in the rock than normal! I did a bunch of work this morning until my HEART ATTACK!!! This was the biggest mistake ive ever done on a crab carapace. I put it aside and went grocery shopping. Came back and put quite a few hour into it. Its looking perty good except, like always, no rear end! But so far the claw are perty good and so far, a 6 legger. Ive still got a heck of a lot of work to do. Just hoping that there may be some tippy tippy's?

post-171-0-89961200-1458343441_thumb.jpg

Wow Ron, still looks pretty decent to me though!

mistakes happen!

Cant wait to see the final!

OUCH!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's ever blown through a specimen.

I drove a 2" scraper through the pectoral fin of the Pentanogmius fritschi when we were excavating it. I figured it would be compressed against the body just like every other stinking fish I've worked on. But no!! This guy was giving a "high five" in death and it was about 3/4" off the body plane...

At least you didn't scribe the back of a previously unknown species!!!

Well, took me almost 3 hours to follow out the legs. Quite sticky they was! Here is what it looks like right now. Gots lots more work to do.

RB

post-171-0-75923200-1458598163_thumb.jpg

When you say "Sticky" what does that mean exactly?

I assume that parts of the crab are sticking to the concretion you are removing?

Thanks everyone.

Hey FossilDudeCo: Sticky means that the rock is really stuck to the shell material of the crab. Makes for a much slower prep job and much easier to beat up the shell material.

RB

Looks like you will turn out another excellent example of a fossilised crab, thanks for the images looking forward to seeing the finished crab.

Regards

Mike

Hey Kris, I will most likely fill it up with some mixed acrylics. Along with a bit of fixing. Should only take a few minutes.

RB

Hey Kris, I will most likely fill it up with some mixed acrylics. Along with a bit of fixing. Should only take a few minutes.

RB

That aught to hide it well. I'd be interested to see what you can do with it.

Aaaaaaalrighty then. I got this little baby finished up and done. Or at least for me. Here is what it looks like now.

RB

post-171-0-01600500-1458770658_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1