MastodonTooth Enamel ?

JarrodB

I think it's Mastodon tooth enamel but the color is different from my other two pieces. Maybe this guy had bad dental hygiene. Found at the North Sulphur River Texas.post-19191-0-00953800-1458667597_thumb.jpgpost-19191-0-45692400-1458667613_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB

I'd call that Mastodon

Why? What diagnostic features lead to this conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

...I'm back.

Looks more like a root than a crown. Do you have better images?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Why? What diagnostic features lead to this conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

The texture and shape of the fragment are what make me say mastodon as well as the curvature represented in the 2nd picture.

• I found this Informative 2

The texture and shape of the fragment are what make me say mastodon as well as the curvature represented in the 2nd picture.

Compared some photos on the net with this one. Thanks for the insight!

...I'm back.

post-19191-0-93491700-1458693737_thumb.jpgpost-19191-0-10793700-1458693558_thumb.jpgpost-19191-0-73408100-1458693377_thumb.jpg More Pics

Looks more like a root than a crown. Do you have better images?

Comes in many colors.... Usually identified with having a soapy feeling when you rub it. Go find a bigger piece. That is one thing my kid wants to find, but still no luck on a whole one...

Comes in many colors.... Usually identified with having a soapy feeling when you rub it. Go find a bigger piece. That is one thing my kid wants to find, but still no luck on a whole one...

I'm happy finding pieces. I haven't seen a complete one come out of NSR in years. It was the only item I found in the last creek I tried that I sunk over my waders in mud & water lol.

Edited by JarrodB

Thanks, Jarrod. I think this is a fragment of the root. Not sure if there is enough to say mastodon over mammoth...still, always a cool find.

I don't believe mammoth roots widen quite so rapidly. They tend to be longer and straighter. I'm still in the mastodon camp. :D