Really big fish slabs !

RJB

I do have lots and lots of really big slabs of rock with fossil fish in them that I need to prep some day. What I want to ask is: How in the heck do the fish preppers prep out these big fish slabs knowing that they cannot fit inside a prep box to use an air abrasive system? Ive got slabs that are 6 feet by 3 feet, 4 feet by 4 feet and so on. I am at a loss as to how they prep these out and not destroy your lungs in the process? Here is a pic of my little fossil trailer with some rather large size slabs. The trailer is 6 feet by 4 feet and there are even larger slabs on the other side. Just wondering how im going to prep these safely?

RB

post-171-0-95591800-1459023719_thumb.jpg

Outdoors, with a HEPA mask (and a lid on your glass of bourbon).

:)

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey prem, I did think about that, but with using dolomite, it really gets into the air and will make everything very very dusty.

Chas; what the heck is a HEPA mask?

RB

...Chas; what the heck is a HEPA mask?

RB

It's an industrial safety standard; painter's masks won't do the job with fine dust: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ok, I see now Chas. I was actually a painter for 30 years and when I did laquer work I used one of those that had a pre filter and a charcoal filter on both sides. But im now wondering being that most of the fish slabs I have are from the Bottom cap of the 18 inch layer, (Harder and more dense than the 18) if I try aluminum oxide mixed with bicarb if that may work? Both those media fall very fast and don't float in the air?

RB

It's the rock dust that'll kill ya'.

A well-fitting mask with a fine-particle filter (you won't need a charcoal vapor element) will protect you from silicosis (it's a really ugly way to die...).

Ron... Build a big. Sandblasting box. Use an old storm window for the glass.

I bet there is a Ziggy instruction set on that somewhere on the forum!

Hi All just a note if you are using a face fitting mask when you bye it ask the supplier to complete what's called a "Face Fit" for you. Its what we do in the UK for employees working with asbestos, the main reason for this is that when you adjust your own mask you will get a reasonable fit but not a proper fit.

Regards

Mike

I do my big work outside. The majority of my fish prep is done with my Aro though. I save the micro abrasive for the detail work.

Edited by Ptychodus04

Hey Ron, with slabs that size you don't need a respirator for prep. Just use dynamite at a safe distance. You mentioned you're moving in another post I think. A bigger home to house your expanding collection? ;)

Ron.. the other choice is to make a smaller sandblasting box that can be set and dust proofed on top of the slab and move it around as needed.

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks guys. And JP, that little movable box idea is just what I need. Wont take up too much room either. Just super. Now that takes care of the big question mark that's been inside my head for months.

RB

Hey Johnbrewer. I have built me a big shop that has a big fossil prep room inside, I just have to build the house now, but the house has been drawn and will have a rather large room just for fossils.

RB

Hey Johnbrewer. I have built me a big shop that has a big fossil prep room inside, I just have to build the house now, but the house has been drawn and will have a rather large room just for fossils.

RB

Cool! Looking forward to pics.