What do I need?

sunparrot63

• New Members

I'd like to get the tools, etc. necessary for fossil prep. I have a good eye and a good hand (I think), but I can't nail down exactly what equipment I need. Everyone seems to have something different.

Can someone give me a list of everything needed to do fossil prep - the individual things? I know I need an air compressor, but I don't know how much air pressure I need. Brand names would be helpful, too.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm OK with software, but not so hot with things that plug in!

Thanks in advance!

It would be helpful to know the type of things that you are interested in prepping. Many inexpensive pieces of equipment may meet your goals.

• New Members

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm interested in a wide variety of fossils, but most of what I have to work with are relatively small. Crinoids, bryozoans, blastoids, and of course, trilobites, if I can get them.

I have dental pics, but I'd like to move up to better blending and less time-consuming methods.

Hi sunparrot. I prep other things than the stuff you are interested in, but you will need an air abrasive sytem for sure with what ever kind of media for those types of fossils. There are folks here that can help you with all the details that you will need to know. Good luck

RB

• New Members

Thanks. Can you forward my question to them or tell me how to contact them? There are so many brands out there and I don't know what specs, what pens, etc. would be best. I need some good detailed advice.

I appreciate your help with this! :-)

Thanks. Can you forward my question to them or tell me how to contact them? There are so many brands out there and I don't know what specs, what pens, etc. would be best. I need some good detailed advice.

I appreciate your help with this! :-)

This is territory that is well covered here in the Fossil Preparation forum.You can search the Forums for keywords,... such as Airscribe, Engraver, air eraser, etc.

First job is to figure out what type of matrix you are dealing with: Shale? Hard or soft Limestone? Dolostone? Mudstone? The hardness of the matrix will determine the best method of preparation. Experimentation with hand tools will give you a better idea of what is needed.

Different uses are to be taken into consideration. Do you have to do bulk matrix removal? Remove a thin layer of shale? polishing or grinding? Cutting?

*** Most of this also depends on what your budget is like. ***

Many of us do things on the cheap, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to sacrifice quality for cost. It is also advisable to start off cheap, and make sure you enjoy the prep process.

Patience is your greatest tool. Experience is your second greatest tool. Knowing how the rock breaks is key to successful preparation of fossils.

Tag sales, Craigs List, eBay, and flea markets are all good places to get tools for relatively cheap.

Conversely, you can go super expensive as well. Brands such as Paleo Tools, Swam Blaster, Micron Blaster, Comco, ...and so on.

Or, you can start off with a cheaper electric engraver, from Harbor Freight tools, or a Dremel engraver or rotary tool from one of the chain hardware stores.

Hand tools include dental picks, metal scribers, and pin vices. I have used sharpened awls, or ice picks for prep as well. Some use sharpened sewing needles for softer matrices. Cheaper air abraders are the Harbor freight model, Badger, or Paasche.

Keep in mind, all of the air tools will require a compressor, in line oil and water filters, air dryers, dust mitigation devices, a blasting box, and a respirator mask to keep the dust from your lungs. The electric engravers/rotary tools will require dust masks as well.

Silicosis is no joke. :(

Hope this helps.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Thanks, Tim. Sounds like great advice. I appreciate your help. :-)

Thanks, Tim. Sounds like great advice. I appreciate your help. :-)

You are more than welcome. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me