Grinding tool

glu

I'm going to buy a cheap grinding tool to smooth matrix (and sometimes to lucidate the fossil). What tool do you use/suggest?

Hi I use a Dremal hand tool with the flexible extension, however be very careful as a small slip will damage your fossil. Also the dust from grinding will be a problem if you don't have a cabinet or extraction at point of use. Always use a good quality dust mask and protect your eyes.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike Pocock

I also use a Dremel hand tool. It's inexpensive and the variety of accessories are endless for all types of applications.

I agree, I carve my rock into all sorts of shapes and textures using the ENDLESS number of attachments for my dremel

Thanks everyone! I'll buy one soon. I use a dust mask for air scribing but I'm going to build a cabinet using the instruction found here on the forum

I don't do much prep as I need a lot more practice on cheap low quality fossils or general rocks. I also don't have an air pen setup. For chiselling out I use a Record engraver and for grinding a Dremel with the flexible extension. I don't use a dusk mask or eye protection but a full face respirator, this model http://www.waproducts.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=D40636 but I already own one which I use for my day job