This ammo is in need of some TLC

RJB

This poor critter has some problems for sure. I had to cut a piece of rock that had a part of the appature in it and glue it back on and then go on the prep attack. That took a good couple of hours. That's one thing done. I still have to decide if im going to 'rebuild' the missing part that was sticking out of the rock? That could be a bit difficult, and then I still have to scribe around this critter and clean it up a bit. Lots of work for this one.

RB

post-171-0-48509900-1460211590_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-98457700-1460211611_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I was going to leave the bite marks alone and I may just clean up the rock around the specimen and call it quits.

RB

Wrangellian: I like to smooth out the rock just around the shell to make it 'pop' and be more eye appealing.

RB

Not sure about artistic sculpture, that's too much thought for me. I just let the rock tell me what to do if at all possible.

RB

Not sure about artistic sculpture, that's too much thought for me. I just let the rock tell me what to do if at all possible.

RB

Spoken like a true artist.

I also prefer these types of specimens when the matrix enhances the fossil. Necessary but minimal prep. As you state, just enough to bring out the fossil shape. I also find that a few missing bits gives it a much more interest as it doesn't look like it was purchased in a china shop.

My technique roaming the Bearpaw and Pierre Shale...crack...then another crack with the hammer. Maybe one more and either 'aha' or 'oops'.

Ive just never thought of myself as an 'artist'. Doesn't even sound right to me. Oh well. Ive been called a lot worse. Ha!!!

I too soon learned to just try and find out whats in those concretions from Pierre Shale and then bring the conc home and use smaller tools to expose the rest but I certainly had both those 'aha' or oops' moments!

RB

Ron, make no mistake: there is art in your craft, and it shows. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex, now its art and a craft. never thought of it that way. I just figured I was exposing a fossil in a rock? ha! Oh well, im just going to keep exposing fossils in rocks till I cant do it anymore. A nice hobbie if you ask me.

RB