Holy Kerwowza! From ugly to BEAUTIFUL!

RJB

I kept looking at this rock and kept putting it back onto the table where I have a bunch of South Dakota stuff sittin. Today I looked at it again. Then decided to start sanding and see what happens? I realized that once I got started there was no going back, but this critter was just mostly white with no color and a bit powdery so I went on the attack. Tooks lots and lots and lots of sanding and then onto the polishing and WOW!!! Did it turn out real nice. No glues of any kind, just mother nature. I am quite pleased with this triple specimen! Oh, this is from the Fox Hills and I think its Sphenodiscus splenden?

RB

post-171-0-14305700-1460234386_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that works :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You are really on a roll! Nice work,that definately paid off.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks guys. and Scylla, I had little hope for this and didn't take a 'before' photo. I had no idea it was going to turn out so nice!

RB

WOW!

Wish you had that before pic, but I can relate.

I recently prepped a split fish that I thought was a Knightia, turned out to be an Amphiplaga!

That is beautiful, great work! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

How did it go from all white with no color to that much contrast? What did you polish it with? Is there any good way to tell if there are more specimens hidden in the same block without cutting first?

Didn't mean to question bomb you, great show piece, I'm super jelly.

Thanks everyone

engineering student: I sanded off what was left of the shell material and exposed all the septa, (interior walls) which is all those sqiggly lines. I started sanding with my foredom with a barrel sander and went on to wet/dry sandpaper over the kitchen sink and then polished with my foredom.

RB

Those sutures are outstanding.... I can see why you took the shell off....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

As ive said before I love ammonites and you have a cracker , all that elbow Greece is worth it. Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike