Record Power Engraver

DE&i

I have tested and tried these. From my experience, such a tool is not suitable for fossil preparation. Yes, they are cheap, but that is more or less their only advantage.

- These are no subtle tools, and will knock the shell of a trilobite before you can say 'total destruction'.

- They are noisy

- You're holding a vibrating electric motor. This makes any fine work impossible and gives your joints and muscles a constant beating. It's an ergonomic nightmare

- They are not versatile

If you're serious about fossil preparation, set up a simple compressed air system. A basic setup includes a compressor (which can, admittedly, also be noisy), piping, a moisture remover with manometer, and an airscribe. Although it can be done on a tight budget, this will cost a bit more than an electric engraver, but the upside is that you will actually use it.

• I found this Informative 1

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Hi Darren,

Yes I have one and have used it alongside my air pen, I have found it useful for some of the fine detail work on low setting, when it is on high it is quite powerful and a bit noisy, however the fine point that came with it is very good and you can get a diamond tipped bit as well.

If you use it for more than about 15 Mins it can make your hand feel a bit sore especially your fingers as it is back heavy.

All in all I have replaced my Dremil engraver with this one and would not change it back.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Hi Fred,

I have a compressor and the set up that you have described however it was considerably more expensive than the electric engraver (engraver £35) air pen set up £275.

I think that as a supplement to the air pen it is useful and as I did not have the space and money for the air pen to start with the engraver worked well for me.

I think that each person will have pros and cons for each tool or piece of equipment that they use, and the only way to see if it if right for you is to try it out (as long as you can afford to pay for something that you may not use)

Regards

Mike

I used one for a bit. It does work well, but as noted, it is not comfortable. It is heavy, noisy and vibrates a lot, all of which makes your hand hurt. It doesn't blow the dust away from the specimen either, so you have to stop and blow the dust away yourself. The thing that put me off the most though, was it was very slow. Prep is a slow thing anyway, but this was ridiculous. Even on the highest power it was slow.

If a pneumatic setup isn't practical for you, it's a good alternative. However, make sure you're taking regular breaks.

Thank you everyone as there's the usual interesting valid points one can expect here on TFF.

I'm gathering my notes together and shall continue my plans.

Thank you.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Darren

Wei, a guy in China makes different tips for the engraver, I've had a few conversations with him, he's a friendly guy. I've ordered some of his tips. Although not on his website he also makes a chisel tip. This is his website http://stingertools.com

Cheers

John

Edited by JohnBrewer

Thanks for the post John, i like the sound of the chisel tip I will have a look at getting some.

Dont waste your money Darren...Put it towards a compressor and HD airpen....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Dont waste your money Darren...Put it towards a compressor and HD airpen....

I'm not sure it's 'wasting' money Steve. Of course an air pen and compressor would be ideal. Surely if you're going to do the odd bit now and again/looking to start out in a new hobby/have limited funds spending several £100's is 'wasting' money? At the moment I can't justify a new air powered set up and although I keep looking, nothing comes up on eBay.

Cheers

John

I'm not sure it's 'wasting' money Steve. Of course an air pen and compressor would be ideal. Surely if you're going to do the odd bit now and again/looking to start out in a new hobby/have limited funds spending several £100's is 'wasting' money? At the moment I can't justify a new air powered set up and although I keep looking, nothing comes up on eBay.

Cheers

John

I agree with John. :)

Not all of us do all that much prepping, and not all of us are blessed with deep pockets. ;)

As an entry level tool, ...as long as you are aware of the limitations of it, and the pros and cons, I think it is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi All I have both Air and Electric engravers and often use them in tandem especially when I get to the very fine details on smaller fossils the electric one works well.

Regards

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Consider an ElectroStylus. The ergonomics are far, far better than the pictured instrument's design (top heavy, not balanced; which is shared with the Dremel I own). Using an ElecrtoStylus will not wreck your hand as quickly; although continuous prolonged use of any vibrating instrument should be avoided.

Edit: Here is a photo of an ElectroStylus. As you can see the pencil shape is very different from the other engraver's design. I have two of these as well as a Dremel. I find them a low cost alternative to air powered equipment. Of course it is axiomatic; you get what you pay for.

post-8873-0-10073800-1462365707_thumb.jpg

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If your getting fossils professionally prepped the cost of the equipment plus, soon mounts up in prep costs when your having a few specimens done.... The aro pen is far more suitable for fine work than the unbalanced electric engraver.... I started prepping Whitby fossils with an electric engraver... It didnt last long...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)