Advice for fossil prep.

Darktooth

Ok everyone, I finally want to take the big leap and learn how to prep fossils. I currently have two small Dipluera dekayi trilos I would like to prep. The first I enrolled and has matrix stuck to the head and tail. The second has almost it's entire right side exposed in a chunk of matrix. The only tools I own are an engraver and dremel tool. Could anyone find it in their heart to share their experience with me and point me in the right direction on how to proceed? Thanks in advance!

Sincerly Dave

post-17719-0-76776000-1461511275_thumb.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here is the other trilo. And I take back what I said about matrix covering head and tail on this one. Matrix is only covering the tail. Got confused with a different specimen

post-17719-0-47732100-1461511465_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave. Ive not done too many trilos, but I would assume that one would need an air abrasive system. You would also need an air compressor and some media with that too.

RB

Thanks RJB. I hear members talking about air abrasives systems, but could you explain why I would use this for this particular type fossil?

Thanks RJB. I hear members talking about air abrasives systems, but could you explain why I would use this for this particular type fossil?

You can work your way up to that point, by starting with dental picks and hand scribes. These take longer to git 'er done, but won't instantly destroy a specimen due to inexperience. Get to know the rock with hand tools, and maybe graduate to a Dremel before going all out. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

darctooth, I started like you with a Dremel and then moved to a Badger Air Abrader. Since I have moved up to an ME9100 Pneumatic and Crystal Mark.

Here are some results: First the ME9100 removes excess matrix then the Crystal Mark cleans the surface.

post-296-0-33897200-1461519040_thumb.jpg post-296-0-37259900-1461519082_thumb.jpg

These were all done with just a Dremel and/or pin vise and a Badger Abrader. The equipment takes ten times longer to do the job; but works.

post-296-0-11477100-1461519504_thumb.jpg post-296-0-04196600-1461519511_thumb.jpg post-296-0-81392400-1461519525_thumb.jpg post-296-0-29514700-1461519544_thumb.jpg post-296-0-75165800-1461519566_thumb.jpg post-296-0-24575000-1461519577_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Nice work fossilcrazy! Hopefully I will get that good some day! I did llok at the Smithsonian fossil prep paleo biology website. That gave me a general idea of what type of tools to use in certain situations. Honestly the trilos I have are fine the way they are but I think they are also decent for a beginner to try. I do know slow is the way to go.

Depends...on the nature of the matrix. That being said, here is how I would proceed, given your stated equipment.

Decide if you want the 'bite free of matrix or resting on a matrix "base." Envision a plan of removal to meet that end.

The Dremel with an abrasive stone may be useful for rapid, gross removal (grinding away) of excess matrix. It can "shape up" a matrix base, but it leaves a smooth surface that looks unnatural to my eye. NOT for use close to the fossil. This tool lacks the precision needed for any close work. Grinding will throw a ton of dust - best outside with eye and lung protection.

Again, depending on the matrix, the engraver is your best bet for precision work. Another "depends," the nature of the matrix/fossil bond will dictate how close you can work with the engraver. If the matrix wants to "pop off" the surface of the fossil, you're golden. If its "sticky," get close to the fossil with the power tool and do the fine work with laborious scraping with a dental pick or carbide needle. CAREFUL, a prolonged session with an engraver can wreck your hand. Also the repetitive movement fine movement with a hand tool can result in hand injury.

Most of all have fun.

Edit: while I was two-finger typing, fossilcrazy posted some very nice examples. Well done.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Some of our experienced fossil preparators have said that there is a seemingly philosophical mindset that improves their results:

"Don't work to remove matrix, work to free the fossil".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the input!

Some of our experienced fossil preparators have said that there is a seemingly philosophical mindset that improves their results:

"Don't work to remove matrix, work to free the fossil".

It's actually the opposite.

Don't remove the fossil, remove the matrix.

With this mindset, you are consciously working to expose the fossil rather than remove it. The difference is subtle but very effective. I would suggest starting to prep with whatever tools you have and growing from there. I started with a small hammer and some long drywall screws. It took forever but the results can be just as impressive. Also, practice prepping specimens that you don't care that you damage them. You'll notice it's not if you damage them. Accept the fact that you will ruin some specimens during the learning curve.

Good luck. Welcome to the elite brotherhood of fossil preparators!!!

I prolly should have said "expose" the fossil instead of "free" the fossil; this is more what I meant.