Pathologic Whale tooth ID

ynot

Hey-hi Y'All,

I found this Whale tooth when last I visited the Ernst quarries. (Sharktooth hill)

Can Anyone give a species name for it?

It is 2.25 inches long and has a cutting edge on both sides of the crown.

(There is also an interesting pathology where the root was broken and healed with a slight displacement.)

post-16416-0-40436400-1461903764_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-61850200-1461903790_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-07555000-1461903805_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-00053800-1461903833_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-18069600-1461903858_thumb.jpg

Thanks for Your opinions!

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

That's a really nice specimen! Love the fact it is sitting on matrix.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi Tony,

This tooth is actually not pathologic, quite a lot of these teeth are collected from STH and have that really inflated root. The identity of these teeth are not yet known - but they are distinctive and large, and are perhaps one of the exceptions to my caveat on identifying isolated odontocete teeth. My suspicion is that these belong to a giant kentriodontid dolphin similar to Hadrodelphis calvertensis from Maryland that as of yet is only known from unpublished earbones.

These teeth are commonly misidentified as "Prosqualodon" - though 1) they actually bear no resemblance to actual specimens of Prosqualodon, and 2) Prosqualodon is only known from the southern hemisphere (Australia, Argentina, New Zealand).

• I found this Informative 8

Thanks, the root was completely hidden when I found it.

Hi Tony,

This tooth is actually not pathologic, quite a lot of these teeth are collected from STH and have that really inflated root. The identity of these teeth are not yet known - but they are distinctive and large, and are perhaps one of the exceptions to my caveat on identifying isolated odontocete teeth. My suspicion is that these belong to a giant kentriodontid dolphin similar to Hadrodelphis calvertensis from Maryland that as of yet is only known from unpublished earbones.

These teeth are commonly misidentified as "Prosqualodon" - though 1) they actually bear no resemblance to actual specimens of Prosqualodon, and 2) Prosqualodon is only known from the southern hemisphere (Australia, Argentina, New Zealand).

Thanks Bobby!! I was hopping You would see this. I have a couple of these bulbous root type of teeth that do not have the ridging that this one shows. That is what I thought of as a pathology.

post-16416-0-56550900-1461970649_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-29003600-1461970076_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-40251500-1461970218_thumb.jpg

Great color and fantastic find! Congrats!

Sorry I can't help with an ID

Thanks.

Tony

Wow! Unknown large mammal tooth....ummmm....VFOTM material right there!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wow! Unknown large mammal tooth....ummmm....VFOTM material right there!

Thank You, I already entered it-- be sure to vote for it, please!!

Tony

The areas where your arrows point look like places where the cementum surrounding the tooth has chipped off.

• I found this Informative 2

AFAIK, teeth don't break and heal like bones.

This root form may be more common than it seems. The swollen root may give a broader anchor to a piercing tooth. Here's one from Florida:

post-42-0-70794900-1462028792_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The areas where your arrows point look like places where the cementum surrounding the tooth has chipped off.

AFAIK, teeth don't break and heal like bones.

This root form may be more common than it seems. The swollen root may give a broader anchor to a piercing tooth. Here's one from Florida:

attachicon.gifwhale_eurhinodelphinid.JPG

Thanks for the help on this!

Tony

So do i.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Not sure! Very little has been done on dental pathologies and abnormalities in marine mammals. An apically swollen root occurs in quite a few primitive members of Delphinida, including eurhinodelphinids as Harry pointed out, pontoporiids, lipotids, and some kentriodontids; also occurs in some Platanistidae.

• I found this Informative 1

Those areas are what has Me confused. The lower one is rounded on the edge and shows no separation (cross section would look like a lazy s.). While the upper area shows an overlapping structure. (Cross section would look like a 2.) There is an 1/8 inch depth on both of them and it is in opposite directions, like a fault slippage. The area (if caused by damage) has healed before fossilization.

Not sure! Very little has been done on dental pathologies and abnormalities in marine mammals. An apically swollen root occurs in quite a few primitive members of Delphinida, including eurhinodelphinids as Harry pointed out, pontoporiids, lipotids, and some kentriodontids; also occurs in some Platanistidae.

Thank You Sir!!

Tony