My first ammonite prep is finished! (I think)

DessaRose

So thank you to a very kind person who sent me some concretions to play with. Ive been super busy so this took longer than I expected but I got some fun experience and cant wait to start on more! Any suggestions are always welcome! There is a hole from I think a clammy thing, and I can see into it and imagine amazing prehistoric miscroscopic... ok there goes my imagination again..... Anyway, I just thought it was cool so I left the hole, but I might remove it later. Dunno. But here it is... Anyway, I had fun!! Hope you like it!

The partway through...
post-20578-0-74876000-1461983307_thumb.jpg

The finished critter...

post-20578-0-32759700-1461983407_thumb.jpgpost-20578-0-48100500-1461983473_thumb.jpg

Edited by DessaRose

nice job

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Very impressive. My first fossil to prep looked like it got run over by a truck! It's always hard to know if more matrix can safely be removed but there's nothing wrong with stopping right where you're at.

Thanks guys! I have a few others Im playing with but this one was the most obvious to work on, hopefully I can post others soon, but like jpc says... they take so much longer than you intend.

Well done! What tools did you use?

I used an engraver, a dremel with different tungsten carbide tips and my magnifying ott-light. I couldn't have done it without the ott-light for sure! :) My husband was impressed enough that we may be looking at air scribes soon! Ha!

Oh, and I used lots of pieces of the concretions to practice with different dremel tips before Id work on the ammonite. THAT was a very good idea!

Edited by DessaRose