My First Pcs Trip

Fat Boy

Before I start off on my report, I want to thank the PCS Phosphate Company and Curtis Ormond for the opportunity given to me to collect at the mine. I also want to say thank you to all of the guides for their dedication, sharing of knowledge, kindness, and everything else they do to help newbies like me stumble about the mine. I learned a lot, special thanks to Cat Shark (and Hemipitchis was very excited too for what you did for her by the way).

My plan was to arrive in Washington, NC in the early morning ours and get a few hours sleep before the trek to the PCS parking lot, be the first one down the ramp and make a slow giant circular walk (as much as possible) around the mine, find a ton of sharks teeth and other fossils, meet some forum members, and walk out with that huge meg. Well, things didn't really go as planned. We got a late start leaving my home town, then got caught up in construction traffic, and finally arrived in Washington around 4 AM. That at least gave me a couple hours of sleep, but I don't know if it was excitement, exhaustion, or other distractions but I only wound up sleeping about 20 minutes. The good news was that they were calling for morning thunderstorms in the area on the weather channel the day before, but the weather was beautiful and not a cloud in the sky.

My sister and I arrived in the parking lot and met several forum members (and some later in the day): Hawkeye, Beachbum, BSR0131, bj aurora, Lawooten, Cat Shark and Makomom. If I forgot anyone, sorry about that. And thank you for helping us newbies learn the ropes on the prep before heading down the ramp. After getting instructions, loading our gear, and all the other stuff my head was spinning from all of the activity in addition to the excitement building inside me. After we loaded onto the bus, I met a few fellow Marylanders that didn't know about this site that potentially might join now (do I get a finders fee fossil, LOL???), and chatting with them and a few other fellow collectors, we arrived at our destination.

Well, my plan never materialized the way that I wanted it to. We probably were the last ones down the ramp and saw foot prints everywhere we went, but we made it to one of the back corners at least. For reasons that I don't want to explain, we stayed in one area for much of the time. Each step took it's toll on my body regardless of the amount of fluids that I took in, and most of them were circling the few hills that we collected around. I probably took enough steps to circle the entire collecting area, but it felt like I was running in place. Still, I found some cool stuff and experienced the awe of Lee Creek, and walked away with some fossils that I have never found. I'm always impressed with what everyone finds there and now I appreciate how tricky collecting there can be. Thanks to Cat Shark for giving me some pointers, and congrats on the awesome near perfect meg she found literally 5 feet from me while showing me the ropes, I found a few more teeth than I normally would have, and most importantly I learned a lot...next time I'll be one that walks away with a ton of stuff (I hope :P ). Unfortunately, after drinking 2 gatorades and 9 20 oz. bottles of water without any urge to purge, my entire body began to cramp (combination of the heat, lack of sleep, a genetic disorder, and too much walking in place I guess), and time was running out for me to get back to the bus at my assigned time. Had I been up to speed, we could have made it without a problem, but I had to stop and rub out the leg cramps after nearly crossing every hill, and three stops up the ramp. With about an hour to go I didn't have much of an eye for finding stuff at this point, my main concern was getting out without having to get carried out. I did make the next bus thankfully, or I would have been another PCS fossil (Holocene, Fat Boy Formation). Most of all, thanks to Cat Shark for leading me the most efficient way out of there and encouraging me along.

Now, the good news. One goal was walking out with a nice vert or two, found a bunch of them, no problem. Earlty on, I found a HUGE vert half buried (15" in diameter) and excavated it as best I could, but with some hard limestone matrix it was too heavy for me to lug out that early in the trip. I wish now that I had, but that's OK, maybe next time. So, instead, I found one nearby that was much easier to carry around. I found some nice makos early on and started to get a knack of things, and some nice fish fossils, shark verts, etc.

Here are my finds:

050909finds.jpg

I wasn't carrying this one out, not early in the day, no way:

BoneinMatrix.jpg

My first PCS tooth ever, a small but perfect mako:

groundmako.jpg

Mako.jpg

Lookie here, another goal of finding a meg, but it's a 'lil one:

GroundMegB.jpg

Meg.jpg

Fish fossils, the two on the right are firsts for me:

fishstuff.jpg

My first ever sturgeon scute:

scute.jpg

A couple ground shots:

groundmako3.jpg

GroundMako2.jpg

GroundMako5.jpg

GroundTigerB.jpg

My loving sister holding up a pretty G. cuvier tooth:

KarlaTiger.jpg

More to come...

Kevin Wilson

I still can't get over being there. I was in complete awe while walking down the ramp. I can't wait to go again. Next time I'll know what to expect and what my limitations are as well, and I'll stick to my plan!

Scenery shots and collecting:

Auspex, my sister thanks you for the hard hat advice :D

Karlaclose.jpg

Reclaimation.jpg

Draglines2.jpg

RampView.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great ground shots. Seems like you all found a good variety. Good first trip. It was also my first trip this year and next time I will find the big ones!!

It was very nice meeting you and your sister. Great photos and I love that posterior meg. You did better than I did my first time in there :)

Nice finds and nice pics. Looks like that place is a lot of fun!

I only see one problem. Is that a Redskins hard hat?

It was good to meet you down there. You came away with some pretty good stuff!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

It was great meeting you and your sis, as well as all the other TFF members! As I told you up by the bus - I LOVE that posterior meg! You found a nice selection to represent LC offerings. I look forward to seeing you again next trip.

Great trip report! Other then the leg cramps you had a pretty awesome day and found a great variety of fossils!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

great finds!!! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nice ground shots! It was great meeting you on last weekends trip!

I just joined the forum- thanks for telling me about it. Will put up some pictures when I get the chance. My big find was a 3 inch Chubutensis with some lovely cusplets... not a whole lot else though this time around.

Still, it was a beautiful day!

I can guarantee that there are more 4" principals found than sweet little posteriors; hang onto it!

Great report; thanks :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you had a great trip. Looks like I was at the mine the week before you (my first trip too). Like you, I'm looking forward to a return trip. Thanks for posting pictures of your finds.