PVA and acetone help!

Leedsichthys96

Tried making an acetone PVA solution to preserve my fossils but the PVA has turned into some kind of jelly is that normal?

Probably means you have not added enough acetone. Try diluting it some more

What ratio of acetone to PVA are you using. For general purpose usage 10 parts acetone to 1 part PVA is a good starting point.

Is this clumped in the bottom?

Could mean it didn't 'dissolve' completely in the acetone.

I suspend my paraloid in a cheesecloth bag to allow the acetone to reach all the nooks and crannies.

I put my larger 2 quart jars on the paint rollers at work for 24 hours.

I tried a range of ratios unfortunately all had the same result. No water that I was aware of the bottles hadn't been opened until today. Yeah it all clumped together and didn't dissolve at all! So should I keep the PVA in the acetone overnight to see if it just needs time to dissolve? I'm using 100% acetone that's right isn't it? Thanks for all your responses I'm a novice when it comes to preservation as I've only just started collecting my own specimens in the field!

If you are just letting it sit, you will need to shake or shift it as often as possible, (hence the 24 hrs on paint rollers). It has taken me 2 weeks to get fully dissolved this way. I know use a magnetic stirrer. It takes about a half hour.

• I found this Informative 1

Hmm I've seen this before. Are you using the pva beads or liquid PVA? The PVA that is sold in a liquid form (Elmers) and the like, are water based and can't be diluted with acetone.

I tried. You get goop. :blush:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a go! I'm using liquid PVA at the moment

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a go! I'm using liquid PVA at the moment

This is the problem. You're trying to dilute a PVA suspension with Acetone. This will never work. PVA suspensions have to be cut with water, as Squali said above.

If you want to make a PVA solution (best method) with Acetone you have to start with pure PVA beads.

This is the problem. You're trying to dilute a PVA suspension with Acetone. This will never work. PVA suspensions have to be cut with water, as Squali said above.

If you want to make a PVA solution (best method) with Acetone you have to start with pure PVA beads.

bingo... we found your problem. Good detective work, squali.

... I'm using liquid PVA at the moment

That's where the water came from!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

PVA can refer to two different compounds: Poly Vinyl Acetate or Poly Vinyl Alcohol. Poly Vinyl Acetate is soluble in Acetone. Poly Vinyl Alcohol is soluble in water and Alcohol.

Both of these "PVA" compounds can start from a solid form. Clearly which PVA is present would be necessary to determine the Jelly or White residue cause.

PVA can refer to two different compounds: Poly Vinyl Acetate or Poly Vinyl Alcohol. Poly Vinyl Acetate is soluble in Acetone. Poly Vinyl Alcohol is soluble in water and Alcohol.

Both of these "PVA" compounds can start from a solid form. Clearly which PVA is present would be necessary to determine the Jelly or White residue cause.

Yes! There are two PVA's. Always causes a problem in my field of work with people new to sizing watercolour paper. See your other similar post for a gift of Paraloid :)

Brilliant guys thanks for the help I'll get my hands on the right stuff and give that a go!! :D