Cutting rocks.

joel77520

I have a question on what tools can I use to cut out fossils . I have a few Fossil fish, lobsters, shrimp plates that are already cut but I want to evenly cut them into a nice rectangle shape to go in my display case. I have a reciprocal saw from Lowe's or home depot but not sure if this is the right tool I should be using to cut slab rocks with or maybe a table saw perhaps?

Tile saws are better for rocks - also diamond/concrete blades for circular saws work.

I have used diamond blades on a dremel tool for thin rocks.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi, I have cut rock with a tile saw by hand and if you take your time it works very well, (I cut limestone so it was very hard) depending on the matrix it may be fairly easy.

I have also cut small pieces with a dremil with a stone cutting disk but this makes a lot of dust.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

I have used a hacksaw to cut Green River shale, to good effect.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A cost effective choice might be a 10 inch tile saw. Diamond blades are cheap enough for 10 inchers. You can cut dry or wet.

The thickness of your cut is limited to around 3" and can be as long and smooth as you wish. Check prices for brand or model, used or new.

Besides all the saws I have, I also have an angle grinder type tool with a 4 inch cutoff blade that works very well with the softer rock such as GRF. Also quite inexpensive. PS(it does get quite dusty though)

RB

• I found this Informative 2

I use a tile saw on my Green River Fish and it does beautifully.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Ok , I'll go with a tile saw then, all of the fish plates I'm cutting are all under 1 inche so that should be good. I have a few plates from Germany( lobsters, shrimp) but it seems to be the same kind of rock.