BIIIIIIIIIG Fish!

RJB

You can see how proffesional I am in splitting fish slabs from GRF. There was a crack going all around this big slab so I decided to help it out a bit knowing the fish was rather deep in the rock. Instant disappointment for me when I first looked inside! This is a rather large 24 inch phareodus but it looks as if someone punched him in the nose perty good. A bit messed up for the head, but the rest looks really good. Not sure what to do at the moment? I would love to hear some of you peeps ideas. Thanks

RB

post-171-0-64634200-1462888677_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-58980400-1462888688_thumb.jpg

I would be thrilled with that fish, RB! :wub:

I kind of like how they get kinda funky from decomposition, or fossilization.

Looks more natural to me.

Don't get me wrong, show pieces are nice, but I'm all for natural looking fossils, despite how messed up they may be. ;)

Have fun with this one.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Can't wait to see it finished!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I think that I would clean it up do define it a bit more but other than that I would leave it alone its a very nice fossil.

Regards

Mike

You could always give it to me if you are upset with it? :)

But really, after prepping I am sure it will still be a beautiful specimen, especially being so large.

I would prep it out and see what the skull looks like. Some times it is possible on large Pharos to remove the bones and reconstruct them. This is very common with Gar and other large fish, but Pharos also have large robust skull bones that often work with this process.

Just a thought.

• I found this Informative 1

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

I would prep it!

See what it looks like finished then decide if you want to mail it to me :)

Terrific find. I know you had high hopes for a "perfect" fish, but I'm with Tim, I think it tells a fantastic story just the way it is, after a bit of prepping to reveal it to the world of the 21st century.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I agree with every one above. And it sure is a big one!!! Looking forward to seeing it prepped. :)

The first pic looks like something out of a magician's show... "and now, I will saw the lovely assistant in two!"

Even a messed up 24" fish is cool. I tend to agree with Tim. I like fossils that show different preservation. Can't wait to see the end product.

I would be thrilled with that fish, RB! :wub:

I kind of like how they get kinda funky from decomposition, or fossilization.

Looks more natural to me.

Don't get me wrong, show pieces are nice, but I'm all for natural looking fossils, despite how messed up they may be. ;)

Have fun with this one.

Regards,

+1

Thanks everyone. I was thinkin last night, (about 2 am) that the fish is now very close to the surface, so why not just prep it out and see where the road goes on the head? I like sseth's idea of maybe moving some bones around. A scary thought but ive actually seen it done before with the jaws.

RB

Sometimes the damaged fish tell a pretty cool story. I'd prep that baby and see what it tells you.

You could always give it to me to prep, and I'd get around to it in five or six years and by then you'd forget to whom you gave it and I'd forget where I got it..............I sure love getting old.

Head exploration is always the best, maybe he has a mouthful of another fish..........a possibility.

Some funny guys here for sure. and thanks. Gunna be awhile before I can get to this fish. No room. Gotta build a table just for this fish and the other big ones I brought home last spring.

RB