Help with damaged trilobite

Iffy

Hello

I recently purchased a couple of what I think are Selenopeltis, which have all of their spines free from the matrix. As these are my first trilobites I was thinking of posting pictures on the fake or real board just to check they are genuine. Fortunately it seems they are. Unfortunately I am guessing this because I can now see one of the pleural spines in cross section, after it snapped off (and then broke into a number of pieces) while my wife was trying to photograph them.

I am looking for any help or guidance anyone can offer in trying to repair and reattach the spine. Is it something I should be able to do myself? What kind of adhesive should I use? The breaks are pretty clean so I'm hopeful it can be put back together and look reasonable.

Many thanks

Just a wee bit of cynoacrylate, allowing ample set time between pieces. Test fit each dry; if they fit together well, use the thin type, and if there is any gap, use the gel.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just a wee bit of cynoacrylate, allowing ample set time between pieces. Test fit each dry; if they fit together well, use the thin type, and if there is any gap, use the gel.

+1. I would also add that if the spines are very small, you can apply minute amounts of glue with a toothpick. Just pour some glue into a bottle cap or some such small container and dip the toothpick into the glue. It will soak up some of the glue and leave a tiny little bit on the tip.

This is very effective on small items that usually prefer to adhere to your fingers rather than to each other.

And also, and this is most impartant,,,,, a beer first to steady the nerves. Ha! Good luck

RB